I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobcats and cougars scare the bejezuss out of me. I get them mixed up but think bobcats are smaller. Still scary cats. I've seen my loving little house cat in full blown predator mode. I wouldn't want to be on the preyville end of something bigger.

A year ago I spotted a bobcat on the fairway while I was golfing with my kids. I happened to be videotaping them, so I got it on tape. It's about 1000' from my house. Looked like a very large cat, or a small tiger, walking on the course. Cool.

Late nite crew, here's a blow to the Bob Dylan fans among you. This is the best version of the iconic song The Times They are a Changing. I just can't get enough of The Seekers. They are so, so good. Video's a little corny, sorry.

For your late night soundtrack...

Last edited by a moderator:
I found me some cool glassware at Goodwill today. The German military is pulling out of our local base after many years of being here, so you can find a steady stream of German glassware here.

I'm test driving one of the glasses which has a phrase printed on it that you can see on my signature. It translates to; "Beer was his last word then the angels carried him away."...

Cheers friends!

IMG-20130506-00819.jpg

IMG-20130506-00820.jpg

There was a cougar on my property last year! Pretty big, but it just minded it's own business. Other animals I've seen here since moving here last January include whitetail, foxes, and wild turkeys running through. And you can hear the coyotes pretty much every single night, but still haven't spotted one.

That sounds like my backyard. The cougar hasn't been seen since the year before we moved in but it tried to take the neighbor's golden retriever.

An adult moose with a penis.

Probably worthy of some envy. I haven't seen any meese yet in these parts though I hear they are around.

I was late to the camping party but I plan to to trade the wife's cousin some electrical work for a pop-up. I am seeing us semi-roughing it in the state forest with some nice waterfalls and hiking trails nearby. My three boys will scare off any deadly animals or more likely kill them...

I live in the city, but there was a bobcat on my back property once. Behind my property there is a big drainage ditch the local wildlife use as a highway through the city.

The blackberries are definitely dead. 4 of the grapes are definitely dead. The blueberries are dead. All three of the trees look dead, though I won't be sure for a another couple weeks. The only thing I'm sure is alive are some of the strawberries. I'm annoyed, $300 in plants and practically all of them are dead. The company that sent me some of them is stupid. The timing is all wrong for some of them. The late freeze here accounts for some more of the dead plants. I need to decide which of these I want to try and replace from local nursery stock.

I live in the city, but there was a bobcat on my back property once. Behind my property there is a big drainage ditch the local wildlife use as a highway through the city.

The blackberries are definitely dead. 4 of the grapes are definitely dead. The blueberries are dead. All three of the trees look dead, though I won't be sure for a another couple weeks. The only thing I'm sure is alive are some of the strawberries. I'm annoyed, $300 in plants and practically all of them are dead. The company that sent me some of them is stupid. The timing is all wrong for some of them. The late freeze here accounts for some more of the dead plants. I need to decide which of these I want to try and replace from local nursery stock.

I feel your pain but I missed the transition. Do you think the bobcat is killing your plants? They are carnivores so probably not. Have you had the drainage water tested?

I feel your pain but I missed the transition. Do you think the bobcat is killing your plants? They are carnivores so probably not. Have you had the drainage water tested?

No, nothing like that. I was just checking on my plants before it got dark. It hadn't occured to me to have the drainage water tested. It's like 30 feet below my property though, so I kinda doubt contamination from it would be a problem.

I do need to take a soil test kit out there and see what's up. I've been here just over a year, so I'm not really sure what the soil is like yet.

That's beautiful! I would like to go that way but I doubt beer would be my last word. It would hopefully be my last drink but my last word would probably be "#$#%".

I'm sure German beer sayings are a dime a dozen, but they always show just how dedicated Germans are to their beer.

Here's another;

Im Himmel gibst kein Bier, drum drinken wir es hier!

In Heaven they don't give beer, so we drink it here!

No, nothing like that. I was just checking on my plants before it got dark. It hadn't occured to me to have the drainage water tested. It's like 30 feet below my property though, so I kinda doubt contamination from it would be a problem.

I do need to take a soil test kit out there and see what's up. I've been here just over a year, so I'm not really sure what the soil is like yet.

I was just ****ting you about the bobcat and the drain water. I don't know dick about plants but my garden has never been better since I threw in that few yards of horse**** a few years back. Just make sure they get enough water..

You know. I've been wondering lately. What if your soul is just attracted to more of it's own kind after death? If that was the case, wouldn't each soul community set things up to be pleasant for those of there own kind? What would be pleasant to one kind of soul would be torture for another. Would that then account for the perception of heaven and hell? Could hell be just one souls glimpse of an environment preferable to a soul that was it's complete opposite?

Sorry if that's a bit deep, I've been chewing on the idea for a while and can't seem to find anything wrong with it.

I was just ****ting you about the bobcat and the drain water. I don't know dick about plants but my garden has never been better since I threw in that few yards of horse**** a few years back. Just make sure they get enough water..
Lol, slow release nitrogen.

Actually, if an animal pees on a plant to much it can kill it. The ammonia in the urine can burn the plant or mess up the soil ph. That's why people get mad when somebodies dog pees on there roses. Roses are really sensitive to that kind of thing.

Actually, if an animal pees on a plant to much it can kill it. The ammonia in the urine can burn the plant or mess up the soil ph. That's why people get mad when somebodies dog pees on there roses. Roses are really sensitive to that kind of thing.

That totally splains that big dead patch in the grass behind the garage where I tend to urinate while outdoors. I hate the old ***** that is my neighbor and she loves her ugly ass rose patch in the middle of her back yard. That's my new spot after they go to bed...

Wow! Gardening talk is really cool!

That totally splains that big dead patch in the grass behind the garage where I tend to urinate while outdoors. I hate the old ***** that is my neighbor and she loves her ugly ass rose patch in the middle of her back yard. That's my new spot after they go to bed...

Wow! Gardening talk is really cool!

Hehe I have been peeing on a grape bush I do not like. Still going though :(

You know. I've been wondering lately. What if your soul is just attracted to more of it's own kind after death? If that was the case, wouldn't each soul community set things up to be pleasant for those of there own kind? What would be pleasant to one kind of soul would be torture for another. Would that then account for the perception of heaven and hell? Could hell be just one souls glimpse of an environment preferable to a soul that was it's complete opposite?

Sorry if that's a bit deep, I've been chewing on the idea for a while and can't seem to find anything wrong with it.

Wow man, I thought I was a bit out there at times. :D

I think your scenario is much like the life we live in, or at least the life I live. In general people like to be around people like them. Whether that be race, interests, religion or whatever the leveling factor is. I think people usually find the most comfort in those they feel comfortable around and that comfort is often based off what I mentioned above. If you don't feel comfortable it can be uncomfortable and in extremes - he!!

I thought strawberries were the most sensitive to cold? They got their name because back in the day they literally had to be covered in straw to get through the colder months.

I do not know about heaven or hell nor do I care so much. I figure I got to much to do in life to worry much about after I am dead.

Hmm a few years ago I had some medical issues that would have made most people think about heaven and hell. Me I just realized that I need to savor each and every day and enjoy the time I do have with my loved ones. I hug my wife and kid every day and tell them I love them. And then I look forward to the next time I can do the same. I try to help others that need help. I share my beer with everyone. I do not get worked up when things do not go my way.

In short life is just to short to worry about the things you cannot change. I had a boss who told me don't sweat the petty things but pet the sweaty things :p

Dog urine is generally good for grass, though most people don't think so. Cat urine, on the other hand... might as well just dump ammonia on it. The main difference as far as I can think of is diet. Cats, as carnivores, get a LOT more protein, which is a major source of nitrogen, and it metabolizes into urea/ammonia.

Interesting bit for all you alcoholics out there: when your liver is cirrhotic, one of the things that happens is it becomes unable to properly process protein/ammonia, and the ammonia builds up in your blood and thus your brain, causing severe neurological problems, coma, seizures, etc.

I think your scenario is much like the life we live in, or at least the life I live. In general people like to be around people like them. Whether that be race, interests, religion or whatever the leveling factor is. I think people usually find the most comfort in those they feel comfortable around and that comfort is often based off what I mentioned above. If you don't feel comfortable it can be uncomfortable and in extremes - he!!
I haven't been able to touch the bottom, or see the shore, for a long time brother. :)

I made mozzarella again, about 5 minutes ago. This time I used about .45 gallons of soured skim milk. Heated to 140f, and added 1 1/2 tsp citric acid dissolved in 1/4 cup of water. Poured the whole sticky mess through a colander, then massaged it with some sea salt. I yielded .35 lbs of cheese. I wasn't being super efficient about it, so I'm calling that about right for the amount of milk used. The cheese is pleasant and not at all tangy. If I hadn't made it, I wouldn't have known it was made from soured milk.

This seems to confirm that temperature, rather then acid type, is the critical factor in determining if you end up with mozzarella or ricotta. Good to know, and tasty too. :)

Now lets talk about the mead I made. It was the joam recipe and it is fugly looking still. 6 weeks in and I would not drink it. Black looking and just plain ugly

There is a heavenly place to me (the way I expect it to be) or there is nothing. Why would I live a good life, caring for others, raising a family and giving everything I have to them...to be cast into hell for some odd sin? I hope I will not lose those that I love when I die but I think I will.

I don't believe in god, but I'm pretty sure if heaven did exist, people are ascribing too many earthly qualities to it. If God can exist, surely it must be possible for souls in heaven to be simultaneously with anyone and everyone (and anywhere and everywhere doing anything and everything) that makes them happy, in complete ecstasy - and I don't mean all in the same place.

The "paradox" of a widow who remarries and has to exist with both of their partners TOGETHER is utter nonsense to me. Absurd atheist argument, I can admit.

I don't believe in god, but I'm pretty sure heaven did exist, people are ascribing too many earthly qualities to it. If God can exist, surely it must be possible for souls in heaven to be simultaneously with anyone and everyone (and anywhere and everywhere doing anything and everything) that makes them happy - and I don't mean all in the same place. The "paradox" of a widow who remarries and has to exist with both of their partners TOGETHER is utter nonsense to me.
Speaking of doxies, isn't orthodoxy just your doxy and heterodoxy someone else's doxy?:ban:

There is a heavenly place to me (the way I expect it to be) or there is nothing. Why would I live a good life, caring for others, raising a family and giving everything I have to them...to be cast into hell for some odd sin? I hope I will not lose those that I love when I die but I think I will.

So, I think what you are saying is you make your own heaven on earth. If that's correct, I agree.

If there is a heaven above with purity and angels and everything is perfect then great! And :mug: us homebrewers will bring beer to heaven.

We hope to live a good life, be good to each other and depending on whatever religion be accepted into the gates of paradise. That's all faith and ... all that.

The last sentence "I hope I will not lose those that I love when I die but I think I will." I believe is up to each person.

At least here on earth. Immortality is not living for ever. It's being remembered forever in my book. So, Ischiavo I believe you make a difference to your family, you love and nurture, stand by their side and love them again.. You'll never be forgotten and will in the end will never lose them but always be part of them.

You know, one of these days I'm going to learn to keep my mouth shut. Not today, but one day...

Stauffbier said:
I found me some cool glassware at Goodwill today. The German military is pulling out of our local base after many years of being here, so you can find a steady stream of German glassware here.

I'm test driving one of the glasses which has a phrase printed on it that you can see on my signature. It translates to; "Beer was his last word then the angels carried him away."...

Cheers friends!

Nice glass!

emjay said:
I don't believe in god, but I'm pretty sure if it did exist, people are ascribing too many earthly qualities to it. If God can exist, surely it must be possible for souls in heaven to be simultaneously with everyone that makes them happy - and I don't mean all in the same place. The "paradox" of a widow who remarries and has to exist with both of their partners TOGETHER is utter nonsense to me.

I imagine that in Heaven, we will be all-knowing. Every question answered, every mystery explained.
According to the Belief O Matic questionnaire(three times), I am 98% Quaker. This prompted me to research a bit, and I think I could be comfortable with their style.

I haven't been able to touch the bottom, or see the shore, for a long time brother. :)

I made mozzarella again, about 5 minutes ago. This time I used about .45 gallons of soured skim milk. Heated to 140f, and added 1 1/2 tsp citric acid dissolved in 1/4 cup of water. Poured the whole sticky mess through a colander, then massaged it with some sea salt. I yielded .35 lbs of cheese. I wasn't being super efficient about it, so I'm calling that about right for the amount of milk used. The cheese is pleasant and not at all tangy. If I hadn't made it, I wouldn't have known it was made from soured milk.

This seems to confirm that temperature, rather then acid type, is the critical factor in determining if you end up with mozzarella or ricotta. Good to know, and tasty too. :)

What a cheezy post. :D Congrats on your latest batch!

Speaking of doxies, isn't orthodoxy just your doxy and heterodoxy someone else's doxy?:ban:

I don't really get the joke, so I'll just say no. :p

They're all Greek roots... obviously, since dox/y (meaning belief) is in all if them, and words don't generally mix roots - which is why octopuses is actually the correct plural for octopus, not octopi (bet ya didn't know that!)

ortho means "right" (more correct in context - consistent and without change).

hetero means "other"

para means "beyond".

Actually, I can kind of see a joke if you already knew what "ortho" meant and were taking it too literally :p

Nice glass!

I imagine that in Heaven, we will be all-knowing. Every question answered, every mystery explained.
According to the Belief O Matic questionnaire(three times), I am 98% Quaker. This prompted me to research a bit, and I think I could be comfortable with their style.

I get quaker on those things too! Some of the most liberal branches are definitely something I could get behind (and a good portion, like 20-25%, actually even identify as atheist). By FAR most quakers belong to more conservative and especially evangelical sects that have branched off, though. Where I moved last year is actually just a couple minutes away from the oldest protected quaker heritage site in North America (possibly worldwide but I'd imagine Britain has older ones). I've actually considered checking out a liberal branch around here if I could find one, just to see.

The other biggy I get is unitarian universalism.

I don't really get the joke, so I'll just say no. :p

They're all Greek roots... obviously, since dox/y (meaning belief) is in all if them, and words don't generally mix roots - which is why octopuses is actually the correct plural for octopus, not octopi (bet ya didn't know that!)

ortho means "right" (more correct in context - consistent and without change).

hetero means "other"

para means "beyond".

Actually, I can kind of see a joke if you already knew what "ortho" meant and were taking it too literally :p
Careful there, you might end up in non-heterodoxy territory. :fro:

So, I think what you are saying is you make your own heaven on earth. If that's correct, I agree.

If there is a heaven above with purity and angels and everything is perfect then great! And :mug: us homebrewers will bring beer to heaven.

We hope to live a good life, be good to each other and depending on whatever religion be accepted into the gates of paradise. That's all faith and ... all that.

The last sentence "I hope I will not lose those that I love when I die but I think I will." I believe is up to each person.

At least here on earth. Immortality is not living for ever. It's being remembered forever in my book. So, Ischiavo I believe you make a difference to your family, you love and nurture, stand by their side and love them again.. You'll never be forgotten and will in the end will never lose them but always be part of them.

You and I would be fast friends if not for the miles that separate us. Your presence here really does warm my heart.

Stauffbier said:
I found me some cool glassware at Goodwill today.
Those are just... Badass.
Leadgolem said:
The blackberries are definitely dead. 4 of the grapes are definitely dead. The blueberries are dead. All three of the trees look dead, though I won't be sure for a another couple weeks.
:( that sucks. Most places won't ship until after frost date, period.
Varmintman said:
Now lets talk about the mead I made. It was the joam recipe and it is fugly looking still. 6 weeks in and I would not drink it. Black looking and just plain ugly
My JOAM almost got dumped in the yard waste bin at 6 weeks. I can't even describe how nasty it was... 3 months later I took a small swig off the bottle, and although it wasn't exactly delicious I could see that it wasn't bad it was just needs LOTS of time. I used champagne yeast and so got a much driers mead than the recipe intends.
emjay said:
I don't believe in god,
bullsh!t ;)
but I'm pretty sure if heaven did exist, people are ascribing too many earthly qualities to it.
I agree 100%. People always try to fill in the gaps when things are beyond their understanding. Sometimes it's just better to admit that you don't know. I don't know if aliens exist, for example. One time on LSD I thought that I saw a large starcraft passing overhead, but deduced later that I was just really really high.

Dog urine is generally good for grass.
That's not at all true! I've always had hybrid tiff-green (golf coarse grass), and every dog I've ever owned left little yellow, dead spots everywhere they pi$$ed. I will agree that cat pi$$ is far worse, though. That stuff can ruin ANYTHING it touches! Stupid cats!

That's good to know. I was daydreaming about making cheese today, and I had an epiphany that temperature was the key. I'm going to raise the temp next time I try making the mozz!

Back