First time Lagering Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjpurpura

Reaction score
Hi all -

I brewed my first lager this past sunday (German Pilsner). it's been 3 days of sitting at 50 degrees and still no visible signs of fermentation. a few questions

1 - If I see no visible fermentation within a week, is it okay to open the cover and use a sanitized turkey baster to withdraw some of the wort and test with a hydrometer?

2 - If the OG hasn't moved can I save the batch? Please let me know how

Thanks!

my first lager didn't do anything for about the first 3 days at 50 F. I left it out over night at room temp (~68-70 F). The next morning there were signs for fermentation so I put it back in the fridge at 50. Everything turned out fine for that beer.

Hi all -

I brewed my first lager this past sunday (German Pilsner). it's been 3 days of sitting at 50 degrees and still no visible signs of fermentation. a few questions

1 - If I see no visible fermentation within a week, is it okay to open the cover and use a sanitized turkey baster to withdraw some of the wort and test with a hydrometer?

2 - If the OG hasn't moved can I save the batch? Please let me know how

Thanks!
First question: Yes.. As long as the turkey baster is sanitized
What are you using as visible signs of fermentation?
Remember the air lock bubbling is not a reliable gauge.

Second question: Yes.. Then you can try slowly warming the temp.
up to abought 60 then carefully swirl the fermenter to rouse the yeast.

What yeast did you use? Some dry yeasts like S23 can be slow starting.

It would be helpful to know the temp of your wort when you pitched your yeast. Also, what yeast did you use?

If a hydro sample (the only way to know for sure) shows no gravity change from the OG, bring it up to 60-62*F, give it a swirl and watch it regularly. Once it gets going, drop back to your target ferment temp in increments of 1-2*F per hour.

I usually check my lagers gravity on or around day 4 or 5. I mostly brew lager and sometimes I don't see much activity. So I keep an eye on it and it's fine. I ferment at about 47-48 degrees. I wouldn't worry too much on day 3.

Latest posts

Back