Anyone Have Conan Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdburg

Reaction score
Does anyone have any Conan yeast available for trade or purchase? I'm hoping to see what it can do, but Heady Topper is very difficult to come by in California. I can either pay a reasonable price or trade some Northern California beers.

Thanks!

I have a citra IPA bubbling away currently with Conan yeast.

I am going to brew a Belma IPA (Conan the Belmarian) this weekend but can likely harvest some back out and do whatever needs to be done to mail it.

What beers can you get your hands on and are you still looking? Also do you have experience mailing yeast? I am curious as to what I will need to do to ensure they don't get too stressed and such.

Does anyone have any Conan yeast available for trade or purchase? I'm hoping to see what it can do, but Heady Topper is very difficult to come by in California. I can either pay a reasonable price or trade some Northern California beers.

Thanks!
If we can figure out the shipping, trading thing I'd be happy to fill a few vials for you.

Thank you both for your replies. I was able to get a vial in a trade a week or so ago. If I need another vial at some point in the future, I'll see if you still have anything available.

Maybe someone else is looking to trade for some Conan?

Cd, what are you using for a recipe? The below is the recipe I tossed together and brewed. I potentially wouldn't mind working together on a trade to send a homebrew plus local beer to each other if interested in beers I can get in MA at all. Jacks Abbey and Maine Brewing Comp being 2 that I can get my hands on quite easilly.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1693602

Thank you for the offer, but I'm probably not looking to do too much more trading in the immediate future. I'm very happy to get the Conan yeast, but the cost to ship the beer across the country was crazy. It was easily the most expensive vial of yeast I've ever purchased, several times over. :mug:

Right now, I'm planning for the first run with Conan to be in a Nelson Sauvin, Riwaka, and Mozaic amber ale. I plan to split the batch between Cal Ale and Conan to see how the Conan amplifies the fruity characteristics of the hops.

I am interested in this Conan Yeast. Anyone willing to Trade a Vial of Conan for a Vial of PacMan? If not, I would be willing to purchase. Please let me know here or shoot me a PM. Thanks! :mug:

If anyone can get their LHBS to place an order (25 minimum), I found out that Giga Yeast (SF Bay Area) offers what they say is Conan as their "IPA Yeast (GY054)." It's not yet listed on their web site, but they say it has been tested and is ready for release.

Thank you for the offer, but I'm probably not looking to do too much more trading in the immediate future. I'm very happy to get the Conan yeast, but the cost to ship the beer across the country was crazy. It was easily the most expensive vial of yeast I've ever purchased, several times over. :mug:

Shameless self-plug here, but I just did a blog post on how to mail yeast for little more than the cost of a stamp...

http://suigenerisbrewing.blogspot.ca/2013/04/mailing-yeast.html

Bryan

You are right. Yeast can be shipped at a much lower cost. However, the expensive part for me was shipping the bottle of beer via UPS that I traded for the yeast. Beer doesn't ship cheaply, generally.

I am also looking for some Conan and can trade/purchase for it, if anyone is interested shoot me a msg. Thanks

I would be interested in getting some Conan. I have a few yeasts on hand I could trade (but nothing too exciting) or could pay depending on price.

Thanks

I am in the Tampa Bay region and would also like to get some Conan. Happy to buy or trade commercial beers (cigar city) or home brew.

I am in the Tampa Bay region and would also like to get some Conan. Happy to buy or trade commercial beers (cigar city) or home brew.

I'm orginally from that area (grew up in Pinellas Park, moved to Ybor when old enough to leave the nest). I'm in Knoxville now and have a great supply of Conan and would be happy to trade for a can or 2 of CC Jai Alai or any other local Tampa Bay beers. PM me and we can work out details.
:mug:

I live in Woodland, right outside of sacramento. I have some Conan on my stir plate right now if you still need some.

Muthacack said:
I live in Woodland, right outside of sacramento. I have some Conan on my stir plate right now if you still need some.

I'll take some, what might you want in return?

Thank you very much for the offer. I got some a bit ago, but I've heard from a few others in the area looking for it. Hopefully, they'll see this. I haven't been able to meet up with them.

How does your starter smell? Are you getting Belgian yeast esters and phenolics? My starter smelled very Belgian, and the resulting beer does too. I'm wondering if I got a contaminated sample of the yeast, or if that's normal.

How does your starter smell? Are you getting Belgian yeast esters and phenolics? My starter smelled very Belgian, and the resulting beer does too. I'm wondering if I got a contaminated sample of the yeast, or if that's normal.

My starter smells really nice. I've actually made two starters from two different cans. Both smell very similar and I get a lot of the peach aroma. As for the Belgian smell you are getting I have heard that Conan originated from a Belgian strain so that doesn't surprise me. I am going to brew an IPA with it tomorrow so I will try to update tomorrow.

Anybody willing to send me a vial of yeast? I'll pay handsomely (paypal) and I'll pay for the courier cost (Think it will have to come by courier to give it a chance to survive all the way to South Africa)

Please please pretty please !!

My 5 gallon batch did not turn out too well using my first harvest. I would need to test my second harvest before I feel confident enough to send it out.

Muthacack said:
My 5 gallon batch did not turn out too well using my first harvest. I would need to test my second harvest before I feel confident enough to send it out.

What's wrong with it?

The pale i made didn't attenuate very well. I started with a 1.057 wort and it only got down to 1.018. It tastes too sweet. I should have probably pitched some different yeast at that point but I bottled anyways. The aroma is very peachy and the beer tastes really yeasty. I primed for about 2.1 volumes but the beer is way over carbonated now. My second harvest was better. There was more krausen in the flask and my 2 different 1 gal test batches had a lot of blowoff. I got over 80% attenuation on each of those. I guess I will just have to try something with my healthier yeast and hope it turns out.

I got a culture yesterday that has been on the stir plate for at least 8 hrs now and I intend to let it run for about 36 before I give it a rest an step it up, looking to brew on Monday.

Anybody have a time frame in primary's with conan? I'm thinking of letting mine go for a month before doing any secondary action.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I'm planning a special brew for some friends who are getting married and think that Conan would be the perfect complement to my planned hop choices. Anyone out there able to set me up with some?

I can trade beer or money, whatever's your fancy. Thanks!

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I'm planning a special brew for some friends who are getting married and think that Conan would be the perfect complement to my planned hop choices. Anyone out there able to set me up with some?

I can trade beer or money, whatever's your fancy. Thanks!

I plan on revitalizing my conan with a fresh starter this week and would be more then happy to ship a full white labs sized tube by express with cold packs in exchange for local craft beer.
There are 2 other members here who could vouch for me, being we made the same arrangement about a month ago.
PM me and we'll discuss.
Cheers!

Last time I talked to owner of Princeton Homebrew he told me they had ECY29 in stock (which is the Conan strain). Personally, before I tried Heady Topper I would have done anything to get my hands on it. After Heady Topper, I think I am going to stick with US-05.

Seriously, I think Heady Topper is mostly hype. I mean for a canned IPA its delicious, but its nowhere near my favorite IPA. I gave my last two cans away to my neighbor last night because he loved it. Me....I guess to each his own. Just use a clean ale strain and hop the crap out of it.

Yeastgeek are out.. Obv :) Who is willing to ship some to a Canadian french fellow just PM me. Maple Syrup or Dieu du ciel yeast could be part of the trade ;)

I may be able to send you some. I propagated what I got from Yeast Geek and have 3 white labs vials with probably 50-75 billion cells each (plus 3 jars with probably 150-200). I know I will need 2 of the 6 containers I have but don't know if I will need to use the other 4. Since I don't freeze the yeast I don't know how long I could keep them all viable (I am also planning on making an extra big starter to re-harvest a jar).

Best way to ship? I guess a package with a ice pack and express shipping.

Humpy Bump

For the last month, every time I look for Yeast Geek of Giga Yeast, they are out. I found somebody who did have it last night: Saltcitybrewsupply.com
Not only did they have GY054 in stock, I just found an email this morning that it's already been shipped out and have a tracking number.

Latest posts

Back