SG too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the best way to reduce SG? I have a 5.5 gallon batch of Kolsch that went quite a bit over planned SG to 1.060. The SG is out of range for the style. I would like to drop it down to around 1.050. This beer was brewed 2 days ago and started active fermentation 1 day ago. Is blending the best way to do this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :(

you can dilute it with boiled water now or after it's done, but you'd need about a gallon to drop it to around 1.05

Dcp27, I had planned on dilluting with boiled water, but have never done that since I haven't had this problem before. What I am concerned about is making the beer taste thin. Is that not a problem?

Wailingguitar, this was an all grain batch. I added base malt from 2 different containers. One container I had grain that I had already weighed. I didn't realize until later that I counted the pre-weighed grain as a pound less than it was. So...the total was a pound over. I figured it out after I took the OG and started back checking. My efficiency on this batch turned out high as well.

Thanks for advice and comments.

Well if you're diluting it, the whole purpose is to make it thinner so If that's going to be a problem then don't dilute it. Your IBUs will take about a 20% hit though.

Hamien, two good points. As far as thinning the beer, I was just cautious because I have no experience doing that. Thanks for reminding me that thinning the beer would reduce the IBUs accordingly. I'll have to keep that in mind if and when I dilute. I can add boiled hopped water to compensate. Other than SG, taste (my own and 2 or 3 other tasters) will be my guide for determining how much to dilute, and if the bittering is right. Your comments have convinced me to add half the dilution water, check SG and taste before proceeding.

Thanks so much for your comments.

Back