Dead yeast and "gloppy" substance in the bottom of bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedbrewery

Reaction score
I am still fairly new to homebrewing.

I had hard cider fermenting for about 1 week and 2 days, which I know isn't long for fermenting. However, I thought I could just drink it now, so I strained it out a bit, got all the particals out, and it seemed good enough, so I put it in a new bottle, and the next morning a good bit of this dead yeast had collected in the bottom of the new carboy. Does this mean I should let it ferment more?

Things to know:
- Had 3 cups of sugar, so I'm guessing it should take longer to ferment
- I put it in the freezer after transfering it to the 2nd fermenter, for I wanted any extra fermentation to stop

It still had the substance in the bottom the next morning, so what I'm wondering is, ahould I have it sit longer? Is it still fermenting?

Check out the cider section, tons of good reading!

How many gallons did you make?

It still fermenting probably, plus, there is still sediment in the liquid that will fall out.

Time is our enemy and our friend

hehawbrew said:
Check out the cider section, tons of good reading!

How many gallons did you make?

It still fermenting probably, plus, there is still sediment in the liquid that will fall out.

Time is our enemy and our friend

It's not even much actually, about 2 - 3 liters

At 9 days it might not have been done. Puting it in the freezer would stop any further fermentation. Unless you warmed it up & swirled some yeast back into suspension. There should still be some viable yeast cells in there.

Hmmmm. Lots of sugar for little juice.... Did you add nutrient? Either way, id read up on the cider section.

3 cups to that amount of liquid = dry rocket fuel.

What taste profile are you looking for? Dry? Sweet? Still? Carbonated? Etc....

hehawbrew said:
Hmmmm. Lots of sugar for little juice.... Did you add nutrient? Either way, id read up on the cider section.

3 cups to that amount of liquid = dry rocket fuel.

What taste profile are you looking for? Dry? Sweet? Still? Carbonated? Etc....

I added a natural nutrient, boiled raisins, and a sweet taste was the goal, I know 3 cups is a lot for only 2-3 liters, but I was also aiming for a more strong drink. This is why I ask this, because I suspect it would take longer to ferment with that much sugar, especially sense I tried to taste it after just 10 days of fermentation.

It does not show any drastic signs of fermentation anymore; still airlock water, no bubbles, very calm, no activity.

It tasted rather fine though just to say, but after letting it sit over night, more sediment and dead yeast collects at the bottom, though it tasted fine.

Usually,when the airlock slows or stops,only initial fermentation is over. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. Just hope the yeast can tolerate the ABV level before it craps out.

unionrdr said:
Usually,when the airlock slows or stops,only initial fermwentation is over. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. Just hope the yeast can tolerate the ABV level before it craps out.

:|

Back