help needed ASAP before pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherma

Reaction score
I make one gallon batches and pitch 1/2 vial of White Labs each time. I poured 1/2 vial into a sterilized (with Iodophor) mason jar and I am going to pitch in about 30 minutes. I just picked up the mason jar and noticed a black speck in the slurry. Should I pitch this yeast or toss it? are there ever specks in these vials?

How long did you let the starter ferment out? Does it smell or taste bad? If it smells and tastes fine, pitch it.

??? spoon out the speck and a little around it??? then pitch?? I don't know, it depends on what I might think the speck was.

I didn't make a starter. It was straight out of the WLP007 vial into a mason jar. I looked closely at the remaining yeast in the vial vial and noticed there were a couple of little black specks in there as well. I did use a sanitized spoon to try to pick out the couple little black specks in the mason jar. I went ahead and pitched yesterday and it is happily blowing off this morning. Time will tell what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Back