Too high IBU

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doeboy666

Reaction score
About to bottle a mainly extract session IPA/APA that is about 4.7% ABV. OG was 1.048 and settled around 1.012-1.011. But what I'm concerned about the 111 IBU that I calculated from the hop additions. I did not add any hops until 30 min, which was 1 oz summit and 1 oz centennial, then added hops predominantly after 20 min, 15 min, 5 min, and at flame out consisting of more centennial and then the cascade, citra, amarillo varieties. 8 oz of hops total. The tastings I've done thus far are fairly bitter, but I hope it will mellow in the bottles for two weeks or so.

But mainly I'm wondering if 111 IBU is too much for a pale ale of this caliber.

For a session ipa/ or apa yes its much too high. I usually aim for 50IBU for a APA which is still pretty high. Most of my IPA and DIPA are around 110-120ibu. I also love hoppy beers so I make them to my tastes.

But yes it will mellow out for sure in a few weeks.

Was it a 5 gallon batch? That seems high for the times when you added the hops, I wouldn't have though you'd get that much utilization out of them, but maybe.

Edit: Just a general recipe I calculated you around 90, but that is still quite high for especially an APA

HECK YES! a guy in my club made a 5% 138 IBU. we drank it a few weeks ago, talk about suck your face off!

hah i dont mind losing my face. but yes it was a 5-gallon batch. I'm considering taking all my hop additions and dividing the quantities in half for the next batch. I added 1 oz summit and 1 oz centennial at 30 min, 1 oz cascade and .5 oz of centennial at 20 min, 1 oz citra 1 oz amarillo at 15 min, .5 oz citra .5 oz amarillo at 5 min, and then .5 oz centennial .5 oz citra and .5 oz amarillo at flameout

Back