Dark Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upNYbrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
Rehydrate
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 67 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 71 F
Tasting Notes
Roasty and hoppy, some pine character
This was my first attempt at making a black IPA based on several recipes spread around the internet. My general intent was to make a beer with actual dark malt character, not just a regular IPA that is colored black.

The beer came out very roasty, maybe a bit too roasty, but it grows on me after a few sips. I think next time I will cut back on the dark malts just a tad.

This was also intended to be a 3.5 gal batch but my volumes were off and ended up with 4, resulting in a lower than intended OG (1.056 instead of 1.064). I think the higher intended gravity would've been better as well.

70% Efficiency

7 lbs 2-row (79%)
12 oz Crystal 40L (8%)
6 oz Flaked Barley (4%)
4 oz Carafa III (3%)
4 oz Chocolate Malt - US (3%)
4 oz Chocolate Wheat (3%)

Mash at 153 F for 60 minutes

Hops:

1 oz Columbus, 15 mins
1 oz Nugget, 15 mins
0.5 oz Columbus, 1 min
0.5 oz Nugget, 1 min
0.5 oz Columbus, 7 day dry hop
0.5 oz Nugget, 7 day dry hop

Ferment at 67F for 21 days, bottle at 2.7 vols CO2

Looks good. I too like my black IPAs with a little roastiness. But yeah, I could see how it might be too roasty with those malts. Did you use the Carafa III Special or the regular?

I used the Carafa III special.

I keep going back and forth whether it's too roasty or not. The more I drink it, the happier I am with it.

Looks good. I too like my black IPAs with a little roastiness. But yeah, I could see how it might be too roasty with those malts. Did you use the Carafa III Special or the regular?

Back