Favorite place to buy a kettle on a budget?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreavus

Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post on the forums. My 2nd batch is a little under a week away from bottling day right now, currently fermenting a Belgian Wit. However, I had a problem with my wort overflowing the brew kettle I have (some cheap 3 or 4 gallon pot from Wal Mart) and I had to boil them in two pots until it evaporated enough to pour them into one.

I've come to the conclusion that my next investment will need to be a 5 gallon pot because I really want to be able to stop doing partial boils. My question is where can I get a cheap 5 gallon pot that will suffice for brewing purposes? Will my local Sears or Wal Mart be able to suit my needs or will I have to take the dive and purchase the more expensive specialty kettles that my LHBS carries?

Thanks, everyone! Not only for answering this thread but for the wealth of information I've received from reading over these forums.

If you want to do full boils for a five gallon batch you will need somewhere around 7-8 gallons.

I just purchased a very nice kettle from Spike Brewing : http://www.spikebrewing.com/

If you dont want to spend that much you can try a turkey frier combo.

The rule of thumb is buy twice the kettle size for the batch size you plan on making. If you're doing 5 gallon batches, get a 10 gallon kettle. I wish I'd gotten a bigger one, but I'm stuck with the 8 gallon one I bought and now regret. It's simply not big enough.

If you have an Amazon prime membership, get one online. There is a 10 gallon kettle right now for $92.65 that's prime-eligible (free shipping).

LHBS probably buy online and mark the price up before they sell it to you. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what mine does.

I got a 10 gal aluminum pot on amazon for $36. The best deal I could find and worth every penny.

Edit: it was $36.98. Search "Winware aluminum 40 qt pot"

My 15 Gal kettle which is Thunder Group brand, sold to me through Amazon was a great price. It is a rather thick walled kettle too. Lids are sold separately though. And I got the free shipping.

My go-to spot is the flea market. I got a 25 gallon heavy gauge aluminum "temale pot" for $75. Went the bargain fitting ball valve route. Still going strong 5 years later.

I got an 8gallon aluminum one at Walmart for $20. It works fine but right at hot break there is a definite "OH Crap" moment until all the foam goes away. If you can get a bigger one I definitely would.

Latest posts

Back