Sugar. Water. (Yeast). Purple.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Know

Reaction score
I have a silly idea I'm going to try out regardless of how terrible it's likely to taste. I'm pretty green to this brewing thing (about 50 gallons under the belt) so help me out where you can.

The Deal:
1 gallon water
2-2.5 cups sugar
.5-1 pack Fleishman's Baking Yeast

Added after fermentation (not carbing):
2 packs of Kool-Aid (Purple, of course)
2 cups sugar

The Questions:
-I'm looking for about 8-10% alcohol. How much sucrose and yeast should I use to achieve this?
-Can Fleishman's yeast bring the abv up that high?
-Kool Aid contains [sugar, fructose, citric acid, artificial flavor, asorbic acid, vitamin E acetate, calcium phospahte, acesulfame potassium, sucrose, artificial coloring] would any of these harm fermentation if I put the kool aid in while fermenting?

Any help at all please. Obviously not looking to make a masterpiece here.

Baking yeast is engineered to produce lots of CO2 and very little alcohol. You need to use a brewing yeast.

I've a few mead recipes getting ABVs up there with baker's yeast (JAOM)

+1 for brewing yeast. Some of the dry yeasts for wine are incredibly cheap. If you bottle condition or drink bottle conditioned commercial, the dregs from a couple of those would be enough to ferment a gallon batch.

2 lbs sugar will get you slightly higher than 10%. 1.5 lbs will get you just under 8. I'd wait to add the powder until absolutely necessary.

In Finland they make Kilju, a wine made with table sugar and then flavored with fruit juice. It's not great. But it's alcoholic, cheap, and easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilju

No access to wine or brewing yeast. Small town, no car, none of the liquor/wine/beer stores carry any. Only what I can pick up at Walmart or Kroger. Good advice thanks.

thanks mysteryshrimp for the only actual advice

Back