Different leaves on the same hop plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDFlow

Reaction score
This is my first year growing hops. I remember Reading awhile back that you can't tell two plants apart because the leaves are identical. So...is it normal to have different leaves on the same plant?

Completely normal. Usually, the first leaves to emerge will be kind of spade shaped and whole. A set or three later they'll begin to take on the appearance of that particular variety, 3,5,7-lobed or some can get really funky. You're A-O-K!

Not sure about the leaf shape, but it appears that you have aphids or some sort of critters (it originally loaded the pictures huge and they're pretty obvious). Not sure if they're beneficial or harmful, just figured I'd make sure you realized that ;-)

Leaves on any plant will vary based on when they emerged as well as their position on the plant many times. More sun exposure will sometimes cause leaves to have deeper lobes and less surface area exposed to the sun in order to avoid scorching.

Not sure about the leaf shape, but it appears that you have aphids or some sort of critters (it originally loaded the pictures huge and they're pretty obvious). Not sure if they're beneficial or harmful, just figured I'd make sure you realized that ;-)

I did. Good looking out though.

Completely normal. Usually, the first leaves to emerge will be kind of spade shaped and whole. A set or three later they'll begin to take on the appearance of that particular variety, 3,5,7-lobed or some can get really funky. You're A-O-K!

My biggest concern was that one of the rhizomes I bought wasn't hops.

Back