Dummy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
To many people on this site give out bad information or think there a pro and just say what they think works I constantly see conflicting statements on this forum or information that is just blatantly wrong I am a novice but I can tell a lot of other people need to admit that on here aswell

hm, i'm starting to notice that with politicians also. could be something contagious

While that may be true to some extent,the solutions to problems we know are quite common are fairly straight forward. It depends on how well you can describe the problem you're having & how much information is given to make a proper determination. Or is this one of those fake troll threads someone started a thread about doing a while back??

Bostonian Brewer from Boston, MA? I think it's Jim Koch...he hasn't been able to get his homebrew Boston Lager clone right and now he's blaming HBT.

I will never say "you should do this" or "that way is wrong"

I will say "I do it this way" or "many others do it that way"

this hobby has such a wide latitude for what will make a good or even great beer, nothing is really that cut-n-dried, black and white.

except you should never secondary. that's just wrong :p

Too many people don't know the difference between "to" and "too".

Or they're/their/there.

Seriously though, as far as I can tell there are enough people on here who know what they're talking about that most blatantly BS statements are called out pretty quickly. And most people are pretty clear when something's just their opinion.

I completely understand your frustration, and even share it at times. I think too many people are too quick to answer without asking enough questions, and too many people look for answers without giving enough information. That can definitely lead to misinformation. However, this site has been an invaluable resource and has made many people better brewers. If you thought it was all crap, you wouldn't be here.

Or they're/their/there.

Seriously though, as far as I can tell there are enough people on here who know what they're talking about that most blatantly BS statements are called out pretty quickly. And most people are pretty clear when something's just their opinion.

I'm not sure why, but this is a big pet peeve of mine. I know I'm not the best speller, but I use spell check, and I know the difference between homonyms. Except 'affect' and 'effect.' Those I continually have to look up.

What's worse, though, is that so many people try to defend it and say it doesn't matter.

There are many different ways to make good beer. Conflicting info doesn't mean one person is doing it wrong. My guess is that they're getting enjoyable beer doing it the way they are, so something is working.

I'm not sure why, but this is a big pet peeve of mine. I know I'm not the best speller, but I use spell check, and I know the difference between homonyms. Except 'affect' and 'effect.' Those I continually have to look up.

What's worse, though, is that so many people try to defend it and say it doesn't matter.

good rule of thumb, not always true, but in general usage; AFFECT is a VERB, EFFECT is a NOUN

you affect something causing an effect

To many people on this site give out bad information or think there a pro and just say what they think works I constantly see conflicting statements on this forum or information that is just blatantly wrong I am a novice but I can tell a lot of other people need to admit that on here aswell

Name one bit of information that was "blatantly" wrong, otherwise you are just trolling. In the mean time, go back to 4th grade and re-take English.

Im not a grammar nazi, but if a snarky post is indecipherable then it is getting my snark in reply. I recognize that not everyone has been lucky enough to acquire higher education, but if your first language is English, I expect and demand coherent writing. Add being a jerk on top of a babbling post and I will talk to you like you are a babbling jerk.

Im not a grammar nazi, but if a snarky post is indecipherable then it is getting my snark in reply. I recognize that not everyone has been lucky enough to acquire higher education, but if your first language is English, I expect and demand coherent writing. Add being a jerk on top of a babbling post and I will talk to you like you are a babbling jerk.

Bostonian from Boston... not a guarantee that English is a first language

good rule of thumb, not always true, but in general usage; AFFECT is a VERB, EFFECT is a NOUN

you affect something causing an effect

The problem is, I can never remember which is the verb and which is the noun! :cross:

I think too many people are self-entitled dicks. I mean when I come on to a message board and ask a question of random people I know nothing about, it seems completely reasonable that I should receive valuable, irrefutable advice.

Furthermore, when I attempt to answer a question posed by somebody on the board, using my experience and the knowledge I've gained through trial and error it should go without saying that whenever my advice fails you, it MUST be because you are doing something wrong.

So THERE, Mr. Poopyhead!

good point

I play guitar, so it's easy to remember Effects pedal Affects your sound

Mind. Blown. I play as well, and never put the two together. But then, I don't use pedals. Maybe now I'll be able to remember it!

I play guitar, so it's easy to remember Effects pedal Affects your sound
and for all the non-guitar players out there, remember the phrase "Is that the effect you were going for... (effect being a noun, obviously.)

and for all the non-guitar players out there, remember the phrase "Is that the effect you were going for... (effect being a noun, obviously.)

Not good enough. I'd still be left questioning whether it's 'affect' or 'effect.'

To many people on this site, give out bad information. Or think, "there, a pro!" and just say, "what they think works." I constantly see conflicting statements. On this forum, or information that is just blatantly wrong, I am a novice. But I can tell a lot of other people, "need to admit that on here aswell".

I decided not to fix any spelling/word errors, but I added some punctuation. Maybe that's how he meant it to sound. It at least makes a little more sense than what he wrote.

Like any forum on the internet one must be able to decipher on their own which information is legit and which posts are either trolls or just posted by somebody that doesn't know what they are talking about. I would dare to say that most questions a new brewer might have could be answered without even asking but by doing a search beacause odds are their question has allready been asked SEVERAL times before.

there is still alot of GREAT people on here but there seem to be many dolts spewing whatever they think is correct :(

people do have there own technique, but some people act like there way is law or the only way to do it without ruining your brew and i feel it misleads a lot of new brewers

people do have there own technique, but some people act like there way is law or the only way to do it without ruining your brew and i feel it misleads a lot of new brewers

That's a very good point. You could also make a beer using cow poop. While there is nothing wrong with that if that's what you're into, the end result will taste like. . . . well, ****.

So...you're saying you "disapprove"?:D

Name one bit of information that was "blatantly" wrong, otherwise you are just trolling. In the mean time, go back to 4th grade and re-take English.

you will have to cite some examples like Packerfan said, or I will have to agree with him

both his otherwise & in the mean time

The problem is, I can never remember which is the verb and which is the noun! :cross:

The way I remember is to just think of the movie term "special effects." The effects are the things (nouns) they add into the movies. Thus, "affect" must be the other one (verb).

The way I remember is to just think of the movie term "special effects." The effects are the things (nouns) they add into the movies. Thus, "affect" must be the other one (verb).

that's a good one

the effects... they are special

Or they're/their/there.

:ban:

I think the statements & questions are inapropreiate.

there is still alot of GREAT people on here but there seem to be many dolts spewing whatever they think is correct :(

I see bad advice from time to time. I've even been guilty of giving it! As a consequence, I've imediately been smacked down, and when that happened, I tried to listen to WHY the advice I gave may have been incorrect.

That being said, does it mean that I should never give advice? I'm far from a pro, but there are a lot of topics that I do know a good bit about.

At what point am I competant enough to offer advice? Should I complete some sort of brewing certification course before I dare to try to help others out?

Heck, I've gotten bad advice from some experienced brewers. So?

You cite a problem, but you give no idea of how to correct it. Frankly, I don't think it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back