IPA recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarefootFriar

Reaction score
I was talking to my dad today and he mentioned that he likes IPAs, and then asked if I could make him one. I'd love to do that, but if I'm brewing him one, I'm brewing for me and my brothers in law, too. I'm fairly certain he's not a hop-head, so I'm starting to look for recipes that are a bit more reasonable when it comes to IBUs. I'm thinking an English IPA, or perhaps an ESB, that isn't too bitter. I don't know much about the styles, however (I prefer stouts, porters, and brown ales), so I don't know how many IBUs to look for.

Anyone have a good recipe to recommend? Something you'd maybe introduce your non-IPA-drinking friend to? Any recipes for a more "original" flavor, such as what you might have found originally when the style was being brewed for export to India?

Ive found bells two hearted to be a great starter ipa. Not too bitter with some very pleasant hop character. Almost all the vendors have a clone brew.

Or edworts pale ale.

Swackattack (which I keep reading as Zack Attack) took the words out of my mouth. Two Hearted Ale has just the right amount of bitterness and a fantastic Centennial hop aroma. This was my gateway IPA. Dogfish 60 minute is also good.

I would definitely look at doing more of a pale ale than an IPA if they're not the IPA drinkin crowd.

Check recipes for Thornbridge - Jaipur and Fullers - Bengal Lancer. Neither one is as bitter as American IPAs, and yet have good aroma and body. I'm yet to find somebody who doesn't like Jaipur!

Thanks, I'll look into those. I've found Two-Hearted, as well as several others, at my beer store; I may get a sampler and let them try them and tell me which ones they like best. I can then know better what to look for in a recipe. I did find a Two-Hearted clone recipe on the BeerSmith website. I'll check for those others, too, JKaranaka.

Thanks again, everyone. Very helpful.

Back