Same strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbguzzi

Reaction score
So as an experiment i harvested some yeast from s Saison DuPont. Built it up to a nice starter. Roughly 300b cells. Brewed ten gallons. Split the batch and pitched in one the harvested and one two vials of wlp565 DuPont Saison yeast. Check it out! The look of the fermentation is different. Funny! The harvested one took off real quick.

image-1697254006.jpg

Thanks for the photos.

I generally find 2nd generation yeast more aggressive.

Please keep us posted on the progress. More photos would be great.

I believe what you get from a bottle is more than one strain. You get both 565 and 566, although there may be other strains growing in there as well. It will still give you that saison flavor--the hotter the better--but shouldn't stall out the way 565 can. I'm on my 6th or 7th batch that all started with one bottle of Dupont.

Yea for sure. I always do a starter, this was a last minute experiment. I think i was just surprised that the harvested blend was so aggressive. I noticed it in the third step up. I started with the dregs in 10ml wort, then stepped it to 100ml then 1000ml and finally 2500 ml. It was fun. I almost made a quickie starter for the wlp strain.
I am impressed to hear that a harvested strain can go 6-7 pitches. I think i might have to make another batch after this to keep it going.

I am impressed to hear that a harvested strain can go 6-7 pitches. I think i might have to make another batch after this to keep it going.

Theoretically it can keep going forever, since the yeast multiplies when it eats. But the yeast will change over time, partly because it's a mixed culture, partly because that's what yeast does, and mostly because I am by no means a yeast lab. As long as I like the beer it makes, I'll keep using it. When I don't like it anymore, I'll go buy some more Dupont.

image-1744503782.jpg

So for those who are interested. Its been three weeks and these babies are done. Yet to measure FG but they were on their way. Definite difference in color. Sampled it a week ago and harvested bunch had great flavor and aroma similar to the dupont. The wl565 still was not there, but still good. Going to rack ang carb this weekend.
Final note, this was a fun experiment!

So for those interested, harvested batch turned out great. Fg was 1.006, great nose, a little funky. I am gonna pick up another DuPont to compare just for kicks. Wlp565 turned out good too not as complex as the harvested yeast. Finished 1.012, decided not to mess with it.
Have to say that was a great experiment!

Side by side they actually look about the same color wise. I will post a pic this eve of them have only had tried one by one.. They both seemed to flocc out the same,looks like the harvested had a bit more.

Back