Carbonating and pouring from a corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeybrau

Reaction score
what am I missing?

I've got a Berliner Weise that is at 40 degrees and has been on 25psi for ~ a week. I shook the keg and poured a glass and it is carbonated nicely but the pressure on the pour is hot and I get about half foam.

I am using a 12 foot long line which is also in kept in the fridge (cold). The Regulator is set at 25psi while I am pouring.

what do I need to do to get a calmer less foamy pour?

Turn pressure down. You can't serve at 25PSI unless you're running a long-ass line up-hill. Turn down to 12PSI, vent keg until gas starts to go back into it, then serve.

Even then, expect significant foaming until the carbonation re-equilibrates. You might want to keep it off the gas and vent it every once in a while for a couple days.

If you really want to serve it at 3.7 volumes (which is definitely appropriate for the style) I'd recommend a 25 foot 3/16" ID beer line.

Even then, expect significant foaming until the carbonation re-equilibrates. You might want to keep it off the gas and vent it every once in a while for a couple days.

If you really want to serve it at 3.7 volumes (which is definitely appropriate for the style) I'd recommend a 25 foot 3/16" ID beer line.

I've never had a problem serving overcarbed beer as long as I get the PSI low enough. 2PSI has worked for me, albeit a slow pour.

You may have not had the problem, but many people do! It's more due to CO2 leaving the beer and collecting in the line between pours. So the first pour will be foamy, but subsequent pours might be OK.

You may have not had the problem, but many people do! It's more due to CO2 leaving the beer and collecting in the line between pours. So the first pour will be foamy, but subsequent pours might be OK.

I do sometimes have to discard some, but again, never had a beer that I simply couldn't serve.

I do sometimes have to discard some, but again, never had a beer that I simply couldn't serve.

I have! Mostly it's with highly carbed beers (or soda or cider or hard lemonade) and I've had to stick a really long line on anything higher than 25 psi, even if I purge and try to pour at 2-5 psi.

I have one picnic tap set up with 25' line that I use for those beers, since the lines in my kegerator are 10' long and I don't want to change those out. I serve highly carbed "specials" with the picnic tap.

Back