Effects of light & Heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjack68

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I was planning on starting up a 5 gallon batch of hard cider. I was wondering what the effects of the higher temps on the fermenting cider might be. I also don't have a really dark place to put the carboy so i was wondering if it was ok to let(limited) sun on it.

Thanks for the advice/info

Higher temps will contribute to more off flavors produced by the yeast. However, there are some yeast strains that do fine in the low 70s. The cooler you can keep your temps the better. As for light, Just throw a blanket over the fermentation vessel or put it in a closet to keep it as dark as possible.

I agree. Just cover it with a thick cloth or shirt. You'll be fine. And the temperature of about 75 is probably where you're going to start hitting off flavors. Just don't go too cold with your temperature or you're practically cold crashing. Too hot and you're producing off flavors. Good luck!

I can't imagine ANY flavors produced in the 80s that would taste good. I'd think you'd start to produce paint thinner flavors that high. I'd try to do anything and everything to get that down at least to 75º with mid 60s even better.

If you have the ability to put the fermenting vessel into a water bath with frozen water bottles floating around it would help tremendously. If nothing else, just freeze some gallon jugs of water and put them next to the fermenting vessel with a fan blowing across them.

Well i was just asking because its getting to be summer and i don't want to raise my electric bill too high...

Is there really a 'light' concern since you're not using hops? I've left my cider out in the living room and can tell no difference between that and the batches I've left in the closet without light.

I think just about anything could be adversely affected by UV light. It does make hops skunky, but even something like soda could get off flavors if exposed to UV for an extended period.

How much it effects hard cider? No clue.

By using high temperatures like 80 degrees, your yeast will become stressed and produce off flavors. This is what some distillers do because it makes the yeast work faster and off flavors don't matter as.much if you're making a high potency alcohol. Basically, what I'm saying by this, is that if you do not want to produce rocket fuel, don't ferment higher than the low 70's. Also, play it safe on this and at least cover it up. No one drinks ruined cider.

I can't imagine ANY flavors produced in the 80s that would taste good. I'd think you'd start to produce paint thinner flavors that high. I'd try to do anything and everything to get that down at least to 75º with mid 60s even better.

I do not fully agree. Belgian yeast, heffe yeast and saison yeasts make interesting flavors at these temps.

Depends on the yeast and what you are looking to create. If you want a standard hard cider you need to get your temps down. Plenty of tricks published here to do that. Or you work with the environment and get a yeast that makes fruity flavors at higher temps and make your own creation.

Don't worry..... have a homebrew .... relax....:mug:

Am I the only guy that uses this trick to keep light off my carboys?

image-3203533699.jpg

Notice the carboys in back? I just fold the bottom flaps in and boom you got a nice sleeve that you can write on and is easily removed

winenewb172 said:

Notice the carboys in back? I just fold the bottom flaps in and boom you got a nice sleeve that you can write on and is easily removed

Very sneaky. Change you name to brew ninja !

I sometimes do this for bulk aging. Its a good idea. :)

I have not tried it but I have a packet of llalemands saison to try in the higher temp range... I agree with the comment that if you dont want to, or cant adjust the environment to fit the brew you have to adjust the brew to fit the environment... good luck!!!

Just dont expect the same results from a beer with a saison yeast to have the same characteristics. It might though im just saying dont expect it to... It has been my experience that ciders act very different from beers and even a little different from wines and meads sometimes. The fermentables sugars are very different. I say go for it! Try it! Post your results. I would love to hear how it goes!

I had proposed an idea for this very concept in an earlier post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/cider-temp-experiments-401961/

I have not tried it but I have a packet of llalemands saison to try in the higher temp range... I agree with the comment that if you dont want to, or cant adjust the environment to fit the brew you have to adjust the brew to fit the environment... good luck!!!

Very wise strategy! Me too. :)

Well I Put a shirt on it to keep the light out and the temps have been mid 70's. The yeast seems to be working really good now got a nice ring of foam and the air lock is thumpin' :D

Back