Carobonating 20 oz. bottles of water????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duganderson

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a carbonating system with a carbonator cap. I would probably usually only carobonate 20 oz. bottles of water since I usually make only 1 or 2 servings of soda with syrup and I would not want to lose the carbonation in larger bottles.

How long does it take to carbonate a 20 oz bottle of water and what is the process? If you want to carbonate several 20 oz bottles during one sitting, is there a fast process?

I would recomend the DIY carbonating caps. If you use very cold water, you can shake the bottles to disolve the co2 and have them carbonated pretty fast.

What gas pressure do you use for small bottles (20 oz)?

How long do you need to shake to get the carbonation to work for this size? I'm assuming you leave the gas hooked up while shaking?

Does it then need to sit for a while before opening so the gas can dissolve into the liquid?

How cold do you get the bottles? I'm assuming you could put them in the freezer for a while.

Thanks, Doug

How much pressure depends on how much you want... I like 40 psi.

I use the DIY cap, so I don't keep the gas on while shaking. It's just a tire stem in a bottle cap. You just fill the bottle 3/4th of the way, squeez the air out, put the cap on and fill the remaining space with co2. When you shake the bottle, the co2 dissolves and the bottle implodes. Than you give it another shot of gas and repeat. The first show of gas will dissolve in seconds and you just keep going until it doesn't dissolve anymore and the bottle remains firm.

Now the benifit of the store bought cap is that the gas stays on and you don't have to shake it unless you want to speed up the process.

I've carbonated water and opened it up right away, but I'm sure waiting an hour helps.

The colder the better.

Back