Foul odor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyClay

Reaction score
Ok I'm new to wine making and I've starter a batch of banana wine using this recipe.

http://www.celebrationgeneration.com/blog/2011/10/13/how-to-make-homemade-banana-wine/

The only difference is that I added a large can of pineapple juice and I crushed and mixed in 5 campden tablets 24 hours before pitching yeast. I also started out with 12 lbs of sugar and SG was a little low. So just before I pitched the yeast, I boiled 3 more lbs of sugar. Now I guess I got a little excited because I forgot to let that cool before dumping it in. I'm afraid that maybe I may have damaged something in doing that.
My problem is the odor the wine is putting off. The recipe says that it would smell like banana bread. Mine smells like bananas and fart (thats my best description. Sorry.) Its been in the primary fermenter for 3 days now. And the airlock is bubbling like crazy.
I read that maybe I needed to add some more nutrient, so I added about 2 more tsp and stired it yesterday. Today it still stinks. Does anyone have an idea of where I went wrong?

You didn't go wrong. I didn't look at your link...which yeast are you using? Many yeasts fart off a sulphery stank the first few days.

Yep, that one will stink things up. Dont transfer/bottle until the smell goes away, should only be a week at most.

Thank you so much for your input and quick response. The wife will be happy to hear this.

Latest posts

Back