Smoked porter saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buntung483

Reaction score
Hi.
I got the recipe from a brewery for 8 wired big smoke.
For 23 litres og 1.064

3kg weyerman beech smoked malt
2kg pale malt
.5kg Munich
.25kg caramalt
.25kg carafa special
.25kg brown malt
.15kg black malt

90 min. 20 g pacific jade
10 min 25g willamette
0 min 25g willamette

Ferment wyeast american ale II

Only thing is I want to use French saison 3711 because I like the flavour and mouthfeel

My lhbs didn't have carafa special only carafa II and no pacific jade hops. The said maybe use citra but I'm not sure about it. Also if there is any suggestions that could make this recipe work better with the yeast would be great

Thanks
Josh

Pacific Jade seems to be one that doesn't have easy substitutes. The citrus flavors are easy enough to get, but the black pepper is tricky. You might think about using Citra (or Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, etc.) and steeping some black pepper or grains of paradise (and maybe some citrus zest) as you would a witbier.

When I run your recipe through TastyBrew, the result resembles a Strong Belgian Dark or a Dubbel as much as it resembles a saison. Your flavors are going to be strongly smoky and roasty combined with citrusy and peppery from the yeast and hops. This might end up muddled. Have you thought about simplifying a little? Maybe roll the brown malt into extra Munich, and the black patent into extra CaraMalt? Your yeast is going to give you complex flavors already, very different from using American Ale 2 yeast.

Latest posts

Back