Carboy Washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekeane

Reaction score
First off let me say I haven't come across abetter bottle that I couldn't shake clean. I built this just to see if I could. I already had a $12 harbor freight pump for my wort chiller ice bath and the sprinkler parts were $2 so there was no huge investment here.

The washer worked pretty well. I rinsed the carboy once and shook off the bigger gunk. Then just let the pump run with some oxyclean solution. I would likely need a little longer pipe for keg cleaning which I will try when I have a kicked keg and report back.

Materials:
$12-$15 264gph Harbor Freight submersible pump (i got it on sale for $12)
$1 12 in threaded plastic sprinkler pipe I think it is 3/8 threads but just bring your pump.
$.75 plastic 360 degree sprinkler nozzle. I took the sprinkler part out its basically a cap with a hole to restrict water flow and shoot the water higher.
$? A small bucket or container. I got this one at the Blue home supply store and it perfectly seats 5g and 6g better bottles. Was $2.50 I think, but I have had it for awhile for other brewing cleaning.

Will update with other parts for kegs.

p5180127-62984.jpg

p5180129-62985.jpg

p5180128-62986.jpg

With enough time it cleans anything. It was fun to put together, however I don't use it. I brew a ton and haven't any carboys that didn't come clean with a little oxyclean and a wash cloth shook inside. I am going to see about converting it over to a keg line cleaner soon as that would be useful to me.

With enough time it cleans anything. It was fun to put together, however I don't use it. I brew a ton and haven't any carboys that didn't come clean with a little oxyclean and a wash cloth shook inside. I am going to see about converting it over to a keg line cleaner soon as that would be useful to me.

The issue i have is that i have glass carboys and as the oxyclean is added it always seems like they get so slippery and I free they may slip. The could really F up my day. I ordered a pump and PVC and shall make something similar. Thanks for your reply!

fwiw, my carboy cleaner is a couple of tablespoons of OxyFree, filled up with water within 5°F of the carboy bottom temperature, then left overnight.
A good rinse and a swish of Star San and it's ready for its next mission.

Even works with my triple chocolate imperial stout - The Destroyer of Carboys :eek:

Cheers!

I wouldn't abandon the carboy (and keg) washer if it's effective and it keeps the peace.
Some households wouldn't appreciate 13 gallons worth of Italian glass sitting on a kitchen counter over-night, for instance ;)

Cheers! :mug:

I wouldn't abandon the carboy (and keg) washer if it's effective and it keeps the peace.

Some households wouldn't appreciate 13 gallons worth of Italian glass sitting on a kitchen counter over-night, for instance ;)

Cheers! :mug:

I am not abandoning the idea. Parts on order. How long of a "spray wand" do people have for washing carboys and keg? I would rather not be switching between two different sizes.

Shane

Back