Carbonation Problems~ The mysterious case of the tiny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landonn

Reaction score
Hello all, new on here, been browsing for a couple months :) l I am trying to diagnose a problem with my Cornelius Keg System. I have a 2.5 gallon keg with a carbonation stone and a 15 meter lineout hose. With heavy agitation and ice, we could make a great soda water that was slightly less bubbly and sharp than Perrier in 5-6 minutes with a vigorous agitation for 30 seconds before we hit 80 psi. We are not getting the same results for some reason; the soda is far less carbonated than before. As far as I know there are no leaks or problems. My buddy and I are very green, are we missing something blatantly obvious?! Much thanks for reading. If this comment is not thorough enough I can easily provide any information I missed! :ban:

Hey! So a few quick questions...do you chill you drink before carbonation? And do you agitate your keg for only around 30 seconds? Also...have you ever seen a carbonation chart that is used for beer?

Personally...when I make soda I tend to get the beverage to around 40-35 degrees. Then I can carbonate at around 30psi (carbonating at around 80psi would scare the crap out of me), and I shake for around 10 minutes.

A cold beverage can hold onto carbonation easier, and shaking it for an extended period of time helps the liquid hold onto more CO2.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response 164BrewingSoda! Yes, we have a beer carbonation chart but do not know how to transfer the information on the chart to soda. We watched a ton of youtube videos and read a lot through this website and have had a hard time finding any consensus on directions or methods on force carbonating, especially with a carbonation stone, so we landed on 80psi out of trial, error and a video of an old man. We use ice water but until now have not gotten a read on temperature, ill add that in. We are agitating during most of the carbonation time, vigorously for the first 2 minutes and slower thereafter.

Could the high psi have messed up our carb stone?

Gottcha!!
So for me when I make soda...I stick around to a 4.0 volume of CO2. It is a nice and refreshing CO2 level and wont agitate you like a Dr Pepper or something.

As far as the psi disrupting the stone...that will absolutely happen! When the psi is at a high level (especailly at levels like 80psi) it will be ineffective in producing the small bubbles wanted from a stone. An amazing guide to this would be this It talks a bit about this on page 13.

For me...if you have the space to store the keg in a fridge, or even in a nice big ice bucket I highly encourage it. What ever you can do to get that temp down so that you can achieve a lower, constant psi the better.

We got our temperature down and followed your advices and are happy to report some major improvements! We are in the process of cleaning our carbonation stone very thoroughly. I think during vigorous agitation the carbon stone hit the sides of the keg and banged it up so if ours is still troubling us after the clean we have a new carbonation stone on the way as well. I am wondering how to solve this problem. Is there an accessory to either keep the carbonation stone in a fixed position with a small wand for a Cornelius Keg (like in the picture)? or perhaps a plastic cone to protect the sides of the stone? at the moment it is attached to typical flimsy tubing.

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 1.06.32 PM.png

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea. I'd try making a disc from a piece of milk bottle, with a hole sized to keep it between the stone and the nut in your picture.

Back