Carbonation problem - 2 similar batches, one totally flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elvisisnotdead33

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have brewed two similar batches of berliner weisse at the same time. They have the same base and the same yeast, the only difference is the fruits I added (lemon+lime in the first one and berries in the second one).

After 2 weeks of bottle conditioning, I opened one bottle of each beers to test. The first one (lemon/lime) is great, very carbonated, very refreshing, just like I wanted it to be. The second one is completely flat, not even a sound when I opened the bottle. At first I though it was a seal problem, so today I opened another one, but it's the same, completely flat.

I know 2 weeks is not a lot of time to carbonate, but since the first beer with basically the same recipe, same yeast, same amount of priming sugar and same conditioning temperature carbonated perfectly, I am wondering if something is wrong.

There is one difference I made at bottling time, I added a little bit of lactose to the priming solution of the second one (the flat one) because I wanted it sweeter. Could the lactose affect the time it takes to carbonate ?

Each batch is a 1 gallon batch, I added 25 grams of table sugar to each batch + 25 grams of lactose to the second one to make it sweeter. 2 weeks of conditioning time at 70 degrees.

Do you have any idea of what could be wrong and what should I do ? The beer taste great, probably the best beer I brewed so far so I'm very anxious to find a solution.

Should I let it sit for a few weeks or should I add a little more sugar to the bottles ?

That's a trip, i have never heard of anything like that. I usually let my bottles condition for about 3-4 weeks. As for your question about lactose affecting carbonation. I could be wrong about this but i think it may have added more sugar to the beer. ( i've never used lactose before, so like i said i could be wrong.) I would let the bottles that you didnt use lactose in sit for maybe another week or two. I hope this helps. I'm sorry that i could not be more helpful. Hopefully someone with more experience using lactose will chime in. In the meantime, welcome to the forums.

I would give it another two weeks. Sometimes carbonation takes more time.

Lactose is not fermentable by beer or wine yeast, so there's no risk of over carbonating by using it. I don't know why it would slow the fermentation of the priming sugar down, but I suppose it's possible. If after waiting a longer time it's still not carbonated, I would add fresh yeast rather than more sugar. Adding too much sugar is likely to give you too much carbonation and possibly exploding bottles.

I have had issues getting flip top bottles to carb up from leaking. Many people have zero issues with flip tops, but after I had a batch that didn’t carb, I went to bottle caps.

Thanks for your advices guys. I'm leaving for 2 weeks vacation, so I guess I'll check when I come back and let you know.

Normally can determine when beer in bottle is ready. Hold up to a light. Looking thru the bottle (with the light behind the bottle) will see clearing from the top down. More clearing (from top to bottom) more ready. Of course a point is finally reached when no more carbonation will happen. Even works with darker beers.

Latest posts

Back