Any issues with throwing used grain into the yard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeljcarr

Reaction score
I've been just been just spreading my used grain out in the yard instead of filling up my trash can with it. Anyone see problems with doing this?

mikeljcarr said:
I've been just been just spreading my used grain out in the yard instead of filling up my trash can with it. Anyone see problems with doing this?

Not really a problem but if you have a garden you can also till it into the soil or add it to a compost bin

Just make sure you spread it thin. If you leave a pile that's large enough to hold moisture it will begin to decompose and it smells like a dead body.

Just make sure you spread it thin. If you leave a pile that's large enough to hold moisture it will begin to decompose and it smells like a dead body.

made this mistake. it really does smell like something died.

I throw my used grain in the yard but it doesn't last long...we've got 5 chickens that love it. It's a big treat for them.

Oh man, don't waste your spent grain! Your best option is to post in the free section of craigslist and say you have grain for free! I have an amazing setup with a farmer that feeds my grain to his chickens, and in return gives me farm fresh eggs. He bought 2 plastic totes and swaps them out each week after I'm done brewing. He loves it because he gets grain to cut his feed with every week, and I love it because the eggs are delicious!

You can also find recipes online for doggy treats or even homemade bread.

You can make some kick ass pizza dough with it, but it only takes a cup or two and it doesn't keep well so you can't make extra.

I use it as mulch esp in the winter. I start to spread it around the plants or trees and if nothing eats it after a few rains its free mulch. If you don't live in the city throw it out side and let nature do its thing. Compost, chicken feed, pig feed, or mulch.

wow, glad i found this thread. I did my first AG brew last weekend. My brewing helper asked, "where should I dump these spent grains?" I told him in the composter (meaning in the green bin that gets collected by the garbage men every week). He said 'I don't see a composter' as he dumped 15 lbs of it in the garden. My tenant that that tends to the gardens asked me what the heck it is. I guess I'll have to remove it before the smell arrives.

wow, glad i found this thread. I did my first AG brew last weekend. My brewing helper asked, "where should I dump these spent grains?" I told him in the composter (meaning in the green bin that gets collected by the garbage men every week). He said 'I don't see a composter' as he dumped 15 lbs of it in the garden. My tenant that that tends to the gardens asked me what the heck it is. I guess I'll have to remove it before the smell arrives.

Just spread it out, It shouldn't smell too much unless you have a big clump that rots.

I have a compost pile for yard waste and I just dump it in. I have not noticed any strong smell, but is at the back of my yard.

I've always dumped mine on my compost pile which is right outside my side door. Have never noticed any bad smell, and boy it sure makes good compost ( my pile seems to be mostly made up of spent grains and coffee grounds- worms love it)

No,, no it will not. I have big Chicago rats and nothing eats the spent grain.

Hey, you might be right, but I've seen plenty of birds eating spent grain and I know rats will eat bird seed. I know this because we used to have a bird feeder on our patio and after the third time looking out and seeing a rat hanging off it chomping away on bird seed I took the thing down. So, as much as it seems like I was just pulling that statement out of somewhere unmentionable...

Maybe rats are more picky when it comes to spent grain. I mean, they are known to be real finicky when it comes to dining after all...

You can dry spent grains in the oven to make them storable. Here's a link to recipes for spent grains & drying them; http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/category/spentgrainchef/
I like the one for the pretzel buns myself. Make'em big enough for pit bbq'd burgers. Some of the recipes require grinding the dried grains into flour. One of those coffee/herb grinders will do it.

Back