Kegged Hefeweizen Sulfur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
I used wyeast wenheistephan yeast ina a 50% wheat 25%pils 25%munich (all weyerman grain) 6 gallon batch. Made an appropriate starter (1.5L stirplate)

Anywho, I fermented the beer at 65 degrees 3 days (swamp cooler) then let it warm to room temp (80 Degrees in the room; I keep tropical plants in here during winter and spring so it is full of windows and sun lights that keep the temps high) it finished fine. 1.012 and I kegged it. It still has a sulfur smell, which I know this yeast has.

Does the smell/taste disapate with time or do I need to purge a few times

KuntzBrewing said:
I used wyeast wenheistephan yeast ina a 50% wheat 25%pils 25%munich (all weyerman grain) 6 gallon batch. Made an appropriate starter (1.5L stirplate)

Anywho, I fermented the beer at 65 degrees 3 days (swamp cooler) then let it warm to room temp (80 Degrees in the room; I keep tropical plants in here during winter and spring so it is full of windows and sun lights that keep the temps high) it finished fine. 1.012 and I kegged it. It still has a sulfur smell, which I know this yeast has.

Does the smell/taste disapate with time or do I need to purge a few times

Yes, usually after 4-5 days. Very normal.

Latest posts

Back