Conan Yeast, watery mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thood6

Reaction score
So I just tapped my ipa with Conan yeast. That yeast is a beast with 88 percent attenuation. Now I have an ipa with an FG of 1.006. So now I'm trying to figure out how to up the mouthfeel. So mash at 155? Add some oats? Both? Something else

Thanks guys!

thood6 said:
So I just tapped my ipa with Conan yeast. That yeast is a beast with 88 percent attenuation. Now I have an ipa with an FG of 1.006. So now I'm trying to figure out how to up the mouthfeel. So mash at 155? Add some oats? Both? Something else

Thanks guys!

Bueller? Bueller?

Anybody?

a little bit of wheat in an IPA is always a nice boost to mouthfeel and head retention (something like 10%). a higher mash temp might be a good plan, too. have you checked your thermometer recently? (32 in ice water, ~212 in boiling water) if it's off by a few degrees that could have a pretty big effect on actual mash temperature

Conan can be a tough cookie when it comes to nailing your FG, I've read reports of anywhere from 78% to your 88% attenuation depending on the generation. Sounds like you got a young'un!

What was your recipe like? I'd say mashing slightly higher than a normal IPA will help, 155 would probably be my personal upper limit. Oats, light crystal, wheat, and maltodextrine will also help to add body. If you have the option, create a profile for the yeast in a brewing software and play around with a recipe to see what variables you can change to get within target FG.

SixStrings said:
Conan can be a tough cookie when it comes to nailing your FG, I've read reports of anywhere from 78% to your 88% attenuation depending on the generation. Sounds like you got a young'un!

What was your recipe like? I'd say mashing slightly higher than a normal IPA will help, 155 would probably be my personal upper limit. Oats, light crystal, wheat, and maltodextrine will also help to add body. If you have the option, create a profile for the yeast in a brewing software and play around with a recipe to see what variables you can change to get within target FG.

I used the following for an 8 gallon batch:

13 lbs. 2 row
2 lb. Munich 10L (for maltiness)
1 lb. crystal 20
.70 lb. terrified wheat

Mashed at 151

9 oz of Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade, Citra, and chinook to 47 IBU's

It had ok body for few days because the yeast took forever to drop out. But as soon as it cleared it got super watery.

SimonHucko said:
a little bit of wheat in an IPA is always a nice boost to mouthfeel and head retention (something like 10%). a higher mash temp might be a good plan, too. have you checked your thermometer recently? (32 in ice water, ~212 in boiling water) if it's off by a few degrees that could have a pretty big effect on actual mash temperature

I had 3 thermometers on it but my mash temperature was fairly low.

I used the following for an 8 gallon batch:

13 lbs. 2 row
2 lb. Munich 10L (for maltiness)
1 lb. crystal 20
.70 lb. terrified wheat

Mashed at 151

9 oz of Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade, Citra, and chinook to 47 IBU's

It had ok body for few days because the yeast took forever to drop out. But as soon as it cleared it got super watery.

I would think just mashing higher (~154) will help increase the FG to where it should be; maybe up the wheat a little as well. If you're still a little low some maltodextrine before bottling/kegging will increase the body.

Just curious, how was the beer taste-wise before it cleared? I've heard that Conan contributes to the creamy mouthfeel of Heady Topper, and it's a pretty hazy beer.

It was Creamy and sweet before it dropped out. I thought it wasn't going to drop out just cause of what I've read on the yeast. But after it sat for a few days it was crystal clear.

Back