Stuck Sparge Fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I have a 10 gal cooler conversion exactly like this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

Anyhow, I had a stuck sparge the other day because the little brass plug used to close off the end of the tube came out due to the high temperature of my sparge water (~180F) expanding the plastic. I had no choice but to pour the remaining wort out, do some calculations due to my being short on volume, add some DME at the end of boil, and then top off to get my proper OG. All of that worked out fine, but I need a solution to this problem.

I had been using skinny zip ties to hold the plug in, but the area it needs to secure is so small that it apparently doesn't work. So, my idea is to use some food grade epoxy or other adhesive to keep it locked in to avoid this issue again. Any ideas about how to fix this otherwise? I am open to any suggestions because getting the food grade epoxy may not be too easy without ordering online.

TIA guys.....

whats wrong with a 30 cent stainless hose clamp or just crimping the end of the braid?

whats wrong with a 30 cent stainless hose clamp or just crimping the end of the braid?

I have read bad things about stainless hose clamps giving off flavors and rusting over time. Crimping is an option, but I would need either a longer hose or a longer piece of high-temp tubing that I would have to re-cut. I did find this stuff: http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=311

I found some other helpful links from doing a little research after posting this. The glue is NSF 61 approved and sustainable at 180+F. I may just swing by Home Depot and grab some to try it out.

I have read bad things about stainless hose clamps giving off flavors and rusting over time.
>
>
If it's really stainless, it won't rust. Some purported stainless clamps have a non-stainless screw in the clamp. Buy a clamp at a marine supply store, both parts are true stainless.

I decided to try the clamps after mulling over it for a couple days. The problem with the "stainless" clamps are that the clamp itself is stainless while the screw is plated or galvanized. I will give it a shot though. I bought some from Lowes after several marinas told me that is where they get all their stainless clamps. We'll see what happens..... I appreciate all the advice.

Latest posts

Back