Porter tastes salty, need help identifying cause

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
I brewed a toasted coconut porter with peanutbutter powder. It tastes great but when compared to a Maui Coconut Porter mine has a salty taste. Trying to identify the cause of this. Any ideas?

My city water profile
Calcium (Ca) 51.0 109.8 Bicarbonate (HCO3)
Magnesium (Mg) 20.0 0.0 Carbonate (CO3)
Sodium (Na) 72.0 160.0 Sulfate (SO4)
Potassium (K) 3.8 72.0 Chloride (Cl)
Iron (Fe) 0.0 1.5 Nitrate (NO3)
0.0 Nitrite (NO2)
0.8 Fluoride (F)
PH 7.6

Water adjustments I diluted with 60% RO water and added 2.5g of calcium chloride to get

Calcium 53
Magnesium 8
Sodium 34
Sulfate 65
Chloride 89
Bicarbonate 54
PH 5.2

I do BIAB, added Calcium Chloride to the water while heating up for mash. The peanut butter powder (about 16oz) went in to the end of the boil.

How long have you let the beer condition? Some of my dark beers seem a bit "salty" when young. Of course, my water is way harder. Could also be the PB. Is it PB2?

Yes I did use PB2. I just looked up the nutrition value and it does has 92mg sodium in each container, I used 2. Could that be where the salts coming from?

It's been conditioning for only 2 weeks, still a very young beer.

Yes I did use PB2. I just looked up the nutrition value and it does has 92mg sodium in each container, I used 2. Could that be where the salts coming from?

The nutrition info I see says 94 mg sodium per serving - 15 servings per container. Sounds like it could be the culprit?

Edit: yeah, if my math is right I think you added about 150 ppm sodium to your beer, so 184 ppm total would probably give you salty.

Honestly I don't think it did. I also added toasted coconut to the primary and that did come through. I had added the PB to the end of the boil, it may have been better to add to the primary? I would look into a better method than just adding to end of boil like I did.

Back