Keezer Energy Consumption Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravegti

Reaction score
My energy bill came today and was 4 times higher than normal! The only thing I can think of that has changed in our home the past 2 months is the addition of my keezer. I imagined a slight spike in energy consumption, but nothing like this!

I called the city utility and verified there wasn't a mix up or a "catching up" of estimated previous bills. We used 4 times the energy as our last billing cycle. We've been using around 15 kWh per day. This time it was 54!

The chest freezer is a Kenmore 13. There is no other model or identification on it. I've attached some photos of the freezer. Anyone ever experienced something like this? Or have the same freezer? It doesn't seem to be energy star compliant, but even so, it shouldn't drain the power at that rate.

Any help is sure appreciated.

20130610_204806.jpg

20130610_204828.jpg

That is absurd! If I understand you correctly your power went up around 40 KWh a DAY? Pretty sure mine doesn't use that in 3-4 months. I would have to find the numbers from when I tested mine but I don't think I am that far off.

Get a killowatt or similar product and check it out to be sure. They are pretty cheap and are handy for testing out power usage. You'd be surprised the power some appliances use.

Yes, up 40 kWh a DAY! I just bought a energy consumption meter after posting this and it arrives in 2 days. Hoping it will help. Pulling my hair out in the mean time.

The Kill-A-Watt is what I bought. Hopefully the $20 investment will pay off quickly.

Yes, the whole thing is properly insulated and connected to a Johnson controls digital thermostat unit, which all works well. The freezer doesn't seem to be leaking any cold air.

Only seems to run when it needs to, nothing noticeably odd about the performance. It's sitting in my 60 degree basement.

fwiw, I put each of my three chillers on a Kill-o-watt and the five year old 10cf keezer came in at just under 1kw per day. That's just under 15 cents here...

Cheers!

Is your AC electric? It is warming up a bit outside my electricity bill can double at peak heating and cooling times of the year. 4X is a little ridiculous. Your collar is insulated right? Something is up. I doubt it is the keezer though.

I don't think it's the keezer, it would have to be running basically nonstop to cause that much of an increase.
Here's what I would do:

Turn off and unplug everything in your house, and I do mean everything. Then go look at your electric meter to see if if has stopped spinning. If it has stopped, than you can start plugging things back in and testing with your killawatt to find the culprit.

If the meter didn't stop spinning with everything unplugged, than you may have a partial ground fault somewhere in your house. Not enough current to start a fire, or even trip a breaker, but enough to waste lots of money. You can flip breakers/pull fuses one at a time and keep checking the meter to narrow down the leak.

That is a huge jump! Make sure there is not a large extension cord running to your neighbors basement grow lights. :)

My energy bill came today and was 4 times higher than normal! The only thing I can think of that has changed in our home the past 2 months is the addition of my keezer. I imagined a slight spike in energy consumption, but nothing like this!

I called the city utility and verified there wasn't a mix up or a "catching up" of estimated previous bills. We used 4 times the energy as our last billing cycle. We've been using around 15 kWh per day. This time it was 54!

The chest freezer is a Kenmore 13. There is no other model or identification on it. I've attached some photos of the freezer. Anyone ever experienced something like this? Or have the same freezer? It doesn't seem to be energy star compliant, but even so, it shouldn't drain the power at that rate.

Any help is sure appreciated.

Did you ever find out if it was your freezer taking up the extra kWh? I am looking to build a keezer and found a good deal on a new freezer call Genkraft, however it is not energy star, so I am afraid it will cost a lot more to run, even if I'm not using as a freezer.

I'm obviously not OP but as others posted there's no way it's the keezer unless something is very, very wrong.

Back