Infection Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noblehouse

Reaction score
I know i have a small infection in my secondary right now that I can for the most part nip in the bud. My concern is "how" it got infected. This batch is a Honey Vanilla Porter, where I added 2 sliced vanilla beans during the transfer, almost certainly causing the addition of contaminants.

My question is how do you add ingredients after fermentation has started and ensure minimal or no contamination?

Would boiling leech away the sugars and flavors I'd want to be adding to my brew? As for Bourbon, would a high alcohol content, low quality one be satisfactory, or does quality matter. Also, with the bourbon soak.... how long is recommended?

noblehouse said:
Would boiling leech away the sugars and flavors I'd want to be adding to my brew? As for Bourbon, would a high alcohol content, low quality one be satisfactory, or does quality matter. Also, with the bourbon soak.... how long is recommended?

Depends on what your using in secondary. If its for dry hopping and you want to use a Muslim bag. I boil the bag. If I use zest or fruit I either soak in liquor for a week or more. 2oz. Won't effect your batch that much as far as alcohol goes. You can dip the fruit in boiling water long enough to kill any bacteria.

Corrections. For zest I spray the fruit with star san. For vanilla or cinnamon I soak in liquor.

Choosing alcohol is personal preference. Depending on the type of brew you are making. I use whatever I have on hand. But better quality might be better. Some lower quality have a bite. Stouts I use bourbon IPAs and lighter beers I use vodka. That's just me though

Latest posts

Back