1 minute hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteEagle1

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Wanted to get some opnions on this.... After adding 1 min hop additions, or flame out hop additions how long do you keep them in the wort after the boil? Typically I just toss the pellets into the boiling wort....unless I am using alot of hops for an IPA or similar, I will use a mesh bag. But I can't fit a bag full of hops in my kettle along with my imersion chiller and have room to stir it while the wort is chilling. Are you defeating the purpose of the last hop additions if they are only in the wort for a few minutes? Example. Turn off heat, add flame out hops, give it a stir for a few minutes, pull out hop bag, put chiller in kettle to start chilling.
Thanks!

It will vary from person to person- some people make them "whirlpool hops" and wait 30+ minutes after flameout to start chilling. I have hot groundwater and just an immersion chiller at home, so I start chilling immediately and figure the hops steep long enough in the non-boiling wort long enough for some good aroma. I have no data, though.

I toss them in, turn off the heat & start chilling.

Probably takes 30 minutes for it to chill enough to transfer.

Although I am using a 20 gallon kettle, which is bigger, I have stopped using hop bags. I just use pellets and add all I want. I use an immersion chiller as well and haven't figured out how to whirlpool with it so I just let the hops that make it to the dip tube go to the carboy fermenters. They settle. Plus the late hops seem more effective to my taste buds. My chill takes more than an hour and sometimes two, and yet I have been thinking of a post flame out steep to get more of flavoring and aroma. I am not looking for hop bombs, but I am looking for fresh, hop forward qualities in my brews. I am dialing back the bittering hops in favor of the late additions. FWIW...

I'm no expert, but I keep mine loose in kettle until cool and then strain when I pour into the fermenter (5 gallon paint strainer in a bucket).

I've found that doing a hop stand, like not cooling for 15-20 minutes after flameout, really brings out the aroma and 'burst' characteristics.

Heat extracts tannins and acids, and the lower heat at flameout helps extract aroma as well.

Thanks for the replies..... I just smashed my hop sack in next to my chiller. Left them in there while chilling, worked out pretty decent.

I would add that if you want to calculate the results you enter them as additions based on the length of your hot stand or whirlpool. For example, if you drop your hops at FO then whirlpool for 20 mins, calculate the bittering/aroma impact as approximately a 15-20min addition. That is the advice from Mike "Tasty" McDole on the BN--and FWIW (in case you haven't heard of him) his recipes are made by Russian River and other pro brewers in CA, so he's a fairly reliable source.

Back