Please tell me this isn't an infection.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbyrd01

Reaction score
I've brewed about 15 batches of beer and this is the first time I've seen this. Please tell me it's not an infection!

Uh...hate to tell you, but that does indeed look like an infection. But that doesn't necessarily mean the beer is ruined....you might have a nicely funky sour under there.

Time to see what caused it. A lot of folks, myself included get house infections around the 10th to 15th batch or so. Check for scratches in the fermenter, consider replacing all the hoses and bleach bomb anything plastic you can't replace. Also considering switching sanitizers for a few batches to throw the buggies for a curve.

I just racked it to a keg with priming sugar. Was planning on letting it sit for about a month before I tapped the keg. Should I do something else?

This is BierMuncher's Guinness clone fermented with White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast. I made a starter from yeast I had saved from a previous stater that was made using yeast I had washed from the first time I brewed this a few months ago.

Thanks for the help.

I've had beers with that type of infection (I can't remember if it's lacto or pedio) that tasty ok and were drinkable fast...maybe a little funking. I thinking kegging it was probably a good bet. No worry about bottle bombs that way, and the cold might keep it from being active and tasting too funky.

BUT!!!! Just remember this is an infected beer, and you're going to need to treat your kegging system accordingly. You might consider replacing that beverage line, and doing a thorough cleaning of the keg and tap and sanitizing.

Keep me posted as to how it turns out. I've never kegged an infection before myself (I haven't had an infection since I started kegging last spring) so I'm interested in how the cold keeps the beer from getting funkier.

Heck it might even function as cold conditioning.

Well I'm gonna have to let it sit for about three weeks for the sugar to carb it before I can refrigerate it right? And I'm hoping that since Guinness sours their beer that this will turn out even better!

+1 on replacing the beer lines after you kick that keg.

I'd also put boiling water in the keg and seal it up until it cools to about 160F, then dump the water and clean & sanitize the heck out of it afterwards.

Or..... Just keep brewing sours and using that keg and beer line as a dedicated! :mug:

Latest posts

Back