Corking without a corker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
I dont make much wine and as i will be leaving the country in a few months so probably might cork about 30 bottles max and dont wanna buy a corker... does anyone know if theres a way i can do this? maybe using a hammer or some other kind of tools???? ive never corked a bottle in my life so have no idea how hard it is to do.

You can't hammer them in you need a horn to compress them. Without that it's like ramming a marshmallow in a piggy bank.

I did it on 2 bottles I took on a Cruse, drank the wine and refilled the bottles with Bourbon. :) I used a rubber mallet and a 3/4 inch bolt. It wasn't easy at all.

Then I realized corkers are pretty darn inexpensive.

i beg to differ, use a pair of flat pliers and work your way around the cork compressing all sides and then quickly shove it in the bottle and press up against a wall to shove it all the way in....sounds crazy but it works....it is not safe....good luck.

i beg to differ, use a pair of flat pliers and work your way around the cork compressing all sides and then quickly shove it in the bottle and press up against a wall to shove it all the way in....sounds crazy but it works....it is not safe....good luck.

Just make sure any tools you work with have been clean & sanitized. There are also Zorks or bar top-style corks which are an alternative.

I did it on 2 bottles I took on a Cruse, drank the wine and refilled the bottles with Bourbon. :) I used a rubber mallet and a 3/4 inch bolt. It wasn't easy at all.

Then I realized corkers are pretty darn inexpensive.

You can recork with an old cork by flipping it upside down and pounding it in...but I challenge you to try with a new one.

While its not as pretty, not as traditional, I'm putting more and more wine into swing tops and crown cap bottles.

Forget about using corks and just some Zorks, much easier to put in, no equipment, and since you are not making much wine they will work just fine. WVMJ

I dont make much wine and as i will be leaving the country in a few months so probably might cork about 30 bottles max and dont wanna buy a corker... does anyone know if theres a way i can do this? maybe using a hammer or some other kind of tools???? ive never corked a bottle in my life so have no idea how hard it is to do.

I just bought one of those cheap plastic hand corkers. I make cider and cyzer and while most is kegged carbed & crown capped. I wanted to cork some wine bottles with still cider.

So there seems to be two schools of thought. Dry corks or corks soaked overnight in Camden solution or sanitizer.

What's your experience with regards to ease of corking and chance of infection? Thanks.

I've hammered a few on with a short piece of 2x6. Don't laugh, it works in a pinch. I'm sure a rubber mallet will work as well or close anyway.

I concur with everyone who says buy a cheap hand corker. I bought one for this season's muscadine wine. Haven't used it yet, except to test it. Very easy to operate and very affordable. Just do it.

I concur with everyone who says buy a cheap hand corker. I bought one for this season's muscadine wine. Haven't used it yet, except to test it. Very easy to operate and very affordable. Just do it.

Moist or dry corks?

I just bought one of those cheap plastic hand corkers. I make cider and cyzer and while most is kegged carbed & crown capped. I wanted to cork some wine bottles with still cider.

So there seems to be two schools of thought. Dry corks or corks soaked overnight in Camden solution or sanitizer.

What's your experience with regards to ease of corking and chance of infection? Thanks.

Best not to wet a cork. You don't want a film of water between the cork and the glass neck.

If you are worried about sanitation fill a bowl with sanitizing solution of K-meta and place a colander on top of the bowl and a plate to cap the colander then allow the SO2 gas to sanitize the corks.

If you have a rubber mallet, then get yourself one of these. They are under $10. I have corked~150-200 bottles and never had a bottle neck break. I soak em in Starsan while I am corking. The water helps them slide in nice and easy when using a rubber mallet.

4044-plastic-plunger-type-corker__68922_1395502874_1280_1280.jpg

I just bought one and put in a cork with the palm of my hand.
Piece of cake, no problem!

Bottle in 1 liter flip-tops. No corks, corker, bottle caps or capper required. Or spend $8 & use the hand corker.
Regards, GF.

I always soak my corks. They go in much better and I have had zero problems.

Its good that you haven't had problems but manufacturers of quality corks suggest that you never soak corks- as they degrade when soaked You shouldn't even wet them but a short spritz of sanitizer probably won't hurt them

I talked many times about making a cork 'humidor' but I'm on my phone and can't link to any of that right now.

I don't think it hurts them to soak while you bottle. Better than using dirty cork. What is the difference in soaking and storing bottles on the side. The cork is wet on the end. We store upright for a few days then cellar till needed. LHBS catalog says soak in warm sanitizer before using.

I don't think it hurts them to soak while you bottle. Better than using dirty cork. What is the difference in soaking and storing bottles on the side. The cork is wet on the end. We store upright for a few days then cellar till needed. LHBS catalog says soak in warm sanitizer before using.

That's great that it works for you.

I never used "dirty corks", as I only use clean ones.

There is a huge difference between soaking coaks in their entirety, and storing bottles so that the bottom is wetted.

Your LHBS that says to soak them is wrong, but like I said, if it works for you and your corks aren't deteriorating with time in the cellar, then that's great.

I was told to store them air tight. Keep them dry. Don't soak em and don't dip them.

I really wanted to sanitize them but I tried one bone dry and it went right in easy with the little red hand corker.

If you have a rubber mallet, then get yourself one of these. They are under $10. I have corked~150-200 bottles and never had a bottle neck break. I soak em in Starsan while I am corking. The water helps them slide in nice and easy when using a rubber mallet.

One of these guys and a rubber mallet. I've did hundreds with it, works fine.

Get yourself some synthetic corks and dunk e'm in star san, I use #9s, they'll last until the next ice age.

Edit:

I didn't notice you had already typed exactly what I was going to, ironic.

Just because they are new don't mean they are clean. Huge difference is like 30 minutes to bottle but may be stored yrs on side, hmmm.

I've never aged a homemade wine more than 10 years, so maybe I'm not doing it right- but good quality corks should NEVER be soaked, as the cork will degrade. I opened a 2006 wine the other day, and it was in great shape (as was the cork).

Synthetic corks would probably be ok, but I haven't aged anything in synthetic more than 8 yearrs or so, but still never soaked them so I can't say with experience.

Maybe if you soaked them a week but 30 minutes won't do any harm. My wines are only 5 at the most but no problems with the corks degrading. I used quality corks from the Homebrew store and followed their instructions

I've never aged a homemade wine more than 10 years, so maybe I'm not doing it right- but good quality corks should NEVER be soaked, as the cork will degrade. I opened a 2006 wine the other day, and it was in great shape (as was the cork).

Synthetic corks would probably be ok, but I haven't aged anything in synthetic more than 8 yearrs or so, but still never soaked them so I can't say with experience.

I certainly wouldn't soak them, but a quick rinse to lube e'm up can't hurt. I completely hate natural corks though. Can't tell you how many times I've had to drink a 20 year old bottle of wine with tiny pieces of cork in my glass. Now I do know that the Ah-so pretty much solves that problem, but I didn't always know that secret. At home I haven't aged anything more than a few years, and the naturals did work fine I'll admit, but I use synthetic only now.

I have accidentally left some naturals in star san all night after bottling day and they were completely ruined!

Natural #8 corks with the starsan soak (maybe 10-15 minutes). Aged bottles only up to 3 years now, but so far so good. I am cellaring the Barolo with 15 left. Drinking 3-4 per year so we'll see how it continues to age. Fingers crossed that the corks remain good.

I certainly wouldn't soak them, but a quick rinse to lube e'm up can't hurt. I completely hate natural corks though. Can't tell you how many times I've had to drink a 20 year old bottle of wine with tiny pieces of cork in my glass. Now I do know that the Ah-so pretty much solves that problem, but I didn't always know that secret. At home I haven't aged anything more than a few years, and the naturals did work fine I'll admit, but I use synthetic only now.

I have accidentally left some naturals in star san all night after bottling day and they were completely ruined!

What I've done for corks that I've had that were repackaged is made a "cork humidor". I heat some water and stir in some k-meta (about 3 campden tablets worth, or 1/8 teaspoon) and put that in a measuring cup, and then place that in a large bowl. Then I put my corks around it, and put on the lid. The corks then are sort of "steamed" by the k-meta. When I take them out, they aren't wet but the smell of k-meta is really strong.

When the solution cools, that's what goes into my bottling bucket for a 3 gallon sized batch.

I hope that makes sense. I don't want the corks to be wet, whether natural or synthetic.

I really like the normacorks, but haven't used them long enough to say if they are as good for long aging as natural first quality #9 corks.

I was told to store them air tight. Keep them dry. Don't soak em and don't dip them.

I really wanted to sanitize them but I tried one bone dry and it went right in easy with the little red hand corker.
Still digging this hand corker? Do you use real or synthetic corks?

Cheers!

I have one. use of #8 corks (I used real) is recommended as the #9 tend to stick before they go all the way in. I'm waiting to find a floor corker on craigslist before I start buying 9's.

Interesting discussion. I didn't know there was even a controversy. I run my clean wine bottles and corks through the dishwasher sanitizer cycle like I do my beer bottles. Then I toss them in a bucket for a K-meta soak while I'm bottling. I figure the Camden at this point is more for any residual antioxidant action. I definitely use a hand corker. But caveat- I only do 1 gallon batches so far, and that's just 4 bottles (plus a hefty 'trial' glass). So yooper and folks- if getting the corks wet deteriorate them, what kind of time frame are we talking? With 4 bottle batches I generally let them sit for a year, but when I decide to crack them open, they won't last long.

Back