British Session Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew something with british esters, biscuity malt profile, no flavor hops, and a dry finish. So, I was thinking something like

67% Pale Ale
20% Vienna
5% Biscuit
5% Aromatic
3% Flaked Barley

20 IBU with Warrior
Wyeast 1968
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.014
SRM 7.5

I use biscuit in my brown ale and I really enjoy it. I use aromatic in my belgian blondes. Is it going to be too much to use them together? Any thoughts on the lack of caramel? Anyone done anything in this vein?

I would simplify things immensely. Some Vienna would be nice, although that and all the biscuit/aromatic is pushing it for a light, summery beer. What you got isn't bad, its just not necessary... and is certainly not what I'd call a "British" session ale.

If you want to make something in line for an English summer/golden ale, all you really need is a good base malt (Otter, Tipple, Halycon, Golden Promise) and some hops. Brewers gold, first gold, EKG, challenger, ect are often used. Some light crystal is fine, as is some torrified wheat if you want to add some extra biscuit flavor.

Yeah I'm not too concerned with the label. Summer ale was probably the wrong descriptor. I just called it British session for lack of a better term. British from the esters, and session in that it would be <5%. My goal is to focus on malt flavor over hops. Like you said, I was worried that all the flavors would be a little redundant/muddled. I do get distinct flavors from aromatic and biscuit that I thought would go well together. I wasnt sure if the Vienna and biscuit would be fighting for space in the profile.

So I could drop the Vienna and go biscuit/aromatic. Or I could go Vienna/aromatic. Thoughts?

Back