Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyClay

Reaction score
I recently started a 1 gal batch of pineapple wine and I used half a packet of yeast. I've seen on videos people using half packs and others using whole packs for 1 gal batches. What is the difference in the outcome? Will it ferment faster with a whole pack as opposed to a half?

CodyClay said:
I recently started a 1 gal batch of pineapple wine and I used half a packet of yeast. I've seen on videos people using half packs and others using whole packs for 1 gal batches. What is the difference in the outcome? Will it ferment faster with a whole pack as opposed to a half?

One packet is good for 6 gallons, so using half a pack on a gallon batch is perfectly acceptable. Once the yeast gets started, it will multiply to ferment the sugar in your jug.

Depends in the gravity if the wort your pitching into. Higher gravity wort 1.040or> you want higher pitching rates so you don't stress the yeast and cause possible off flavors etc.etc.

Ok that answers my question. Thank you, but now I have another. Is it possible or harmful to use too much yeast?

CodyClay said:
Ok that answers my question. Thank you, but now I have another. Is it possible or harmful to use too much yeast?

Not by adding one yeast packet to one gallon of wine.

Yep. 1 whole packet of wine yeast works just fine for a 1 gallon batch. If i'm putting together multiple 1 gallon batches the same day, i'll split a packet 50/50 between (2) 1 gallon batches just to save money (like a cheap bastard.. lol).

Back