Only 1 week to carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
So I made an English bitter a few weeks back, and I legged it this afternoon. I tried it, and it tasted GREAT. There is a homebrew competition at the local club, and I would like to enter it, but I have to have it dropped off by next Thursday, so I have 1 week to carbonate.

It's a standard 5 gallon keg. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a good carb in a week?

To elaborate on what ColumbusAmongus said...

I know the hardcore brewing perfectionists out there tell you that you have to consult a CO2 volumes chart and match it to the volumes appropriate for the style, then leave it hooked up at that pressure for 2 weeks, but I never do it that way. My method is to transfer the beer to a CO2 purged keg, put 20# of pressure on it to keep the lid on tight, put it in my 44 degree kegerator overnight, the next morning I turn my regulator up to 25#, shake the crap out of the keg until the CO2 tank stops moaning (about 5 full minutes), put it back in the kegerator, go to work, come home that evening, pull the release pin on the keg, put it on at 10 psi or so, and its ready to drink. Usually it will take about 2 days after that before I feel the carbonation has really "settled in" to the beer, but after that its good to go!

Back