clairity question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
A local brewery posted a question on their Facebook page.

During filtration beer is filtered to crystal clarity. True or false? Leave comments.

I say its false, because you can get crystal clear beer without filtration.

What do you all think?

Just because you can get crystal clear beer without filtration doesn't mean you can't with it- it's a poorly phrased question as there really is no true or false answer.

Did you perhaps mean to write that they say "filtration is required for clarity?" Because otherwise you're saying filtration doesn't make beer clear.

True or false? During filtration, beer is filtered to crystal clarity.

I think it depends on the filter and or how many times its ran through them.

This is my actual reply on their page along with their reply.

False, depending on the filter size, it could only remove the larger particulate therefore leaving the beer with a slight haze.

Their reply:
Perhaps for home brewers this may be true, but for commercial brewers using fining agents, filtering and pasteurization techniques to keep their beer crystal clear.

Their statement is true. During filtration beer is typically filtered to crystal clarity. That's the point of filtering in large part, so why do you feel the need to point out that if they did it wrong it wouldn't be true?

Their statement is true. But it is ALSO true that you don't NEED to filter a beer to get crystal clarity. I think they were going for a question in the spirit of "In the STAGE X of beer making, Y occurs. True or false?"

I believe their statement is both true and false. That is why I chose false and left a comment.
I posted it here because it is a very debatable question.

Back