Carb. question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mttd1

Reaction score
I did the 30 psi for 24 hours carb this time. When my 24 hours was up I bled the keg and tasted the beer and it was awesome. I set my psi about 8 for serving and I didnt drink any for 2 days. Today when I tried it, it was not nearly as good as the original taste. I have a few theories but I wanted to know what you guys thought. One is that it may be too cold now, and I turned the temp up to get it closer to about 54 degrees. Another is that when I bled it it might be now under carbed again? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,

Matt

You have to be much more specific about the taste. Just saying that it was not nearly as good doesn't tell us much.

I suspect you might just have some yeast bite though. As the keg sits, all of the precipitate falls to the bottom which is where you draw off the beer. There seems to be a window where the beer near the bottom is loaded with yeast and other precipitates. As you draw off this laden beer it will clear up. If I am in a hurry to get something going, I have a half length dip tube that I throw in the keg for the first half of it. This allows me to draw off clearer beer as everything settles out over a week or two.

It tastes almost chalky and metallic and a little bit like co2 honestly. Could it be overcarb? I have another beer that had this exact same problem and it sat for 2 weeks and i poured probably 6 pints out just to see if I could get rid of the taste and I never did. Of course I got tired of pouring beer out and just drank it anyway.

The pale ale in question right now was dry hopped and had an awesome aroma. Now the aroma is gone. It had a full good flavor with a good hop taste and now very little hop taste that has that chalky taste.

The brown ale tasted really sweet and just the right bitterness and had a good aroma. Now hardly any smell and the same chalky taste with more bitterness but not much sweetness.

I am new to kegging, but it could be overcarbed if there is a metallic/acidic aftertaste. I have overcarbed 3 times in a keg and I get a nice taste from the glass at first and then 1 second or 2 seconds later it is a bad acid/metallic/weird aftertaste.

It's weird when beer is overcarbed, sometimes there is 2 inches of foam on the top, sometimes there is no head at all, and most of the time it tastes flat. There is a flat/acidic/metallic taste or sometimes a good taste for 1 or 2 seconds and then a bad acidic/metallic aftertaste when you swallow the drink. When a beer is overcarbed, for some reason, you also do not burp the CO2 out. WTF? If you place a lemon and/or lime slice in the glass, you can tell as hundreds of CO2 bubbles will form per minute - though the citrus addition actually makes the beer more drinkable. I know that acid pulls out CO2 in soda/beer but the same slice can pull it out for at least 10 pints.

Bad photo, but the streaks are tons of CO2 bubbles streaming up from the lime slices to the static beer level. The head retention does not stay very high, though the CO2 bubbling (off-gassing) is constant no matter how long it takes me to drink the 16 oz. glass.

Thanks for the info....I do believe overcarb was my problem. I have kegged the same way a few times and never had this problem, so I am not sure what changed but....oh well. I "de-gassed" it and got it back tasting almost 100%. Just FYI what I did was drained all of the pressure out of the kegs and let them sit for about 4-6 hours. Then I let the pressure out again. Then I hooked up the gas in to the liquid out on 6 PSI and turned it on. THen I bled it out about 5 times until foam started coming out. Then I let it sit about 4 more hours off of gas and bled it one more time. Then I put it up to serving pressure over night and tapped it this morning and it tasted almost 100% again!

Back