No bubbling in fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've lurked for the last few months and decided to go ahead and ask a question. So first, let me say I love your community and thanks in advance!

This is my 4th batch of beer. It's a double IPA. I have it in a 5-gallon bucket with a blowoff hose.

It's been 3 days since I pitched the yeast and I'm concerned that it isn't active. I only see a few bubbles on the outside of the bucket and have not seen it actively bubbling.

I may have pitched the yeast at 80ish degrees instead of the recommended 77 this time, so I am concerned that this may have been the reason the yeast didn't take (if it in fact didn't).

Can I salvage this still? Should I repitch the yeast? Is there a way for me to determine if it's fermenting other than checking for air bubbles (can I open it up and check)?

Thanks again!

Take a gravity reading. If it has dropped it is fermenting. You should also see a good bit of foam (Krausen) in the top of the bucket. Yeast doesn't always start fermenting the beer right away, it can vary depending on many factors. Dis you aerate the wort good before you pitched the yeast?

Just because there is no bubbling does not mean there is no fermentation. There could be a leak in the seal of the bucket lid, or maybe the fermentation is just really tame. The best way to tell is to take a gravity reading, or visually check the wort for krausen. Is there foam on top of the wort? Is there a ring around the bucket right above the top of the wort?

80ish degrees is nowhere near hot enough to kill the yeast, or even hinder it for that matter, so I wouldn't be worried about that so much as off-flavors from a hot ferment.

It's been 3 days since I pitched the yeast and I'm concerned that it isn't active. I only see a few bubbles on the outside of the bucket and have not seen it actively bubbling.

I may have pitched the yeast at 80ish degrees instead of the recommended 77 this time, so I am concerned that this may have been the reason the yeast didn't take (if it in fact didn't).

This is currently happening with an Irish Red that I'm fermenting. After a week of no bubbles in my airlock, I finally broke down and opened the new fermenting bucket and couldn't see much activity other than a few bubbles on the top. I repitched with more Safale S-05 and added yeast energizer. Still nothing obvious.

Finally, after pulling my last two hairs out, I decided to take a gravity reading. Shockingly, it had dropped 25 points from brew day. It IS fermenting afterall.

I don't know whether it's temperature (it's a bit warm), the new bucket, oxygenation, or what. Nevertheless, it seems to be headed in the right direction.

Bottom-line: Take a gravity reading. It would have saved me from going completely bald.

Hey guys! You were all right, I opened up the top and sure enough there was a lot of krausen. It is definitely fermenting.

Thank you all for your help!!

Back