Back sweetening???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisdahl

Reaction score
So I did a JAO with K1V and with it being as dry as it might be I want to get some info beforehand about how to back sweeten. Any help would be great. Process/hints/advice?

Hahaha yea K1V with a JAO recipe will defiantly need to be back sweetened. Let this mead clear and rack off sediment. Let it further clear and rack again. Once it stops dropping lees then add crushed Camden tablets at 1/gallon and sorbate at 1/2tsp per gallon and within 24 hours from adding that you can add honey to the desired sweetness you want.

Hi I just want to clarify , do you just add honey till it sweet enough for your tastes? ie a pound of honey to a gallon of mead sort of thing ?

Some just add to taste. I like to measure the gravity with my hydrometer as I sweeten. 1.04 is an off dry. 1.1 is a slightly sweet, 1.04 is a sweet mead... Also when adding honey try more like 1/4 lb per gallon at a time.

Back