First All Grain Recipe Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerada6

Reaction score
I have just started home brewing and have about 4 extract batches under my belt that all turned out pretty good. And i am afraid the hobby has sucked me in 100%. After looking around this forum i see that all grain is the way to go and am in the middle of purchasing the necessary equipment, mash tun. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good easy recipe to start with. Something that will be difficult to go horrible wrong due to my novice experiences with all grain. Was thinking of trying an easy IPA or Pale-Ale. Thanks all for sucking me into this great hobby.:mug:

You can't go wrong with a basic IPA or Pale Ale to get your process dialed-in. Try 10 lbs of 2-row, maybe 6 oz of Carafoam for head retention, and a couple of ounces of a hop you like (maybe 1 oz Cascade at 60 mins and another at 20 mins). Ferment with rehydrated US-05 at 68° F (beer temp, not room temp). Keep it simple and tweak it a little each time.

Almost all AG beers are about the same in difficulty. A single infusion mash, with all of the grains in the mash, is typical.

I'd probably just pick a recipe from here that looked tasty to you: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/

IPAs and APAs are about the easiest beers to "not mess up". But so are stouts, hefeweizens, American wheats, etc. so the style doesn't really matter much. I'd just pick something that looked really good!

I was the same way. One partial mash batch and then I moved straight to AG. As it was said before, pretty much any batch is going to be the same or similar difficulty. I would suggest however, that you stay away from recipes with a lot of rye or wheat before getting the hang of it. They'll get super sticky and can cause a stuck sparge if you're not careful. You could also consider trying a 2-3 gallon batch first so that you don't have a big chunk of money tied up in ingredients... just in case :)

When picking from the pool of internet recipes, I've found that simpler recipes tend to be better. Not to say that there aren't good complicated ones, but thats my rule of thumb.

Ed Wort's haus pale ale would be a good one to start with. I found a sierra nevada clone that is pretty great (not sure if its really a clone, but it tastes good). Its really forgiving, I think.

All-Grain - 5 gallons

10 lb 2 oz 2-row pale malt
11 oz caramel malt 60L
.5oz Perle hops, 8.8% AA @ 90 min
1.0 oz Cascade, 6% AA @ 45 min
1.5 oz Cascade, 6% AA @ 0 min
Mash at 155F, sparge at 170

Ferment using clean American ale yeast, Wyeast 1056, White Labs 001, or Fermentis US-05 at 68F

10lbs of corn. Super easy.

Or just do what you like. A simple 2 or 3 grain recipe at a single temperature is pretty hard to screw up :)

Back