Going All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessej122

Reaction score
Getting ready to make the all grain jump but have a question to do Imperial stouts,pale ales,etc. do I need to get 10 gallon mash runs to do 5 gallon batches? Thank you and cheers 🍺

I can fit 13lb of grain in my 5gallon Igloo mash tun but any more and there's not enough room for adequate mash water. If the recipe calls for more than that you'll need something larger. As long as you do a batch sparge you won't have more than maybe 4gal of water in at any time.

Yes, imperial stouts will need a larger mashtun than the 5 gallon water cooler to do 5 gallon batches.

I use a 5 gallon water cooler MLT and I can fit 15 lbs of grain MAX (16 if I wanted to stir mud). I've done two 15 lb batches and both have worked out very well. I can get about 1.07-1.1:1 water:grist ratio - I don't really know because when I'm done adding all grain I bring the liquid level to within 1/2" of the top. I find that the 5 gallon cooler works well for nearly every beer I'd want to make with the exceptions of RIS, barleywine, and probably scotch ale. I should mention that I batch sparge and generally won't mash out unless my grainbill is in the 8-11 lb range.

i went with the coleman extreme 52 quart cooler...that thing holds any amount of grain i would need and holds temperature steady for the entire hour. $30 a Sears!

I'd recommend just going with the 10-gallon. It'll give you the most flexibility for 5-gallon batches. When I was deciding what to get, I was concerned about the leftover open space in the tun affecting temperature stability when I was using smaller grain bills - this has turned out to be a non-issue for me. Personally, I wouldn't want to be confined to the capacity of the 5-gallon tun for 5-gallon batches. Seems like you'll eventually end up getting something bigger anyway. Why buy twice?

Just my $0.02.

I've got a Coleman 72 qt. I can mash 24# with room to spare. I personally don't worry about the MT being too big, because with even a smallish 5 gal batch, I haven't had any issues with temperature retention.

i went with the coleman extreme 52 quart cooler...that thing holds any amount of grain i would need and holds temperature steady for the entire hour. $30 a Sears!

I second that....pretty often Kmart (also owned by Sears) will have a sale on them. I got 2 of them last year for $26 or so. They keep the heat VERY well. I bought two thinking I needed a HLT and a Mash Tun....but I don't really. So the other one I use for picnics/parties.

I had the same dilemma went I started brewing. I am VERY happy that I went with a 10 gallon and wholly recommend it.

Latest posts

Back