Definitive Identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmcq

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know the only way to definitively identify hops is via DNA testing, which I assume is time-consuming and horribly expensive.

So, having said that... does anyone know of a company, university, government entity, etc., that has the facility and capability of identifying hops?

Thanks!

How much do you want to spend?

Your right, DNA testing is really expensive and, I think, only available from the really big hop producers. If you want, I can get all the information for you.

Most often, the "cheap" way of doing it is an oil analysis. The chemist looks at the levels of the various oils in the hop and compares it to standards for the varieties. We have done this to verify a hop is NOT what is stated but I don't think we've ever taken it to the point of identifying what an unknown hop is. I'll see if I can get a list of labs for you that do it. Again, how much do you want to spend? Your talking a few hours of lab time plus time to do the comparison.

That figures... but the information may be good for down the road...

I have four hops plants that I didn't label last spring... just left their starter pots (which were labeled) next to the plants. Of course the pots got moved around, so I have no clue what they are.

Guess until I can afford some lab time, hops from those plants will go into "mystery IPAs"... lol

option 2 is to just always grow them together and make a "blend" of them. Then you can say what hops are in your beer, just not the proportion.

From the economic standpoint, you'ld be better off just buying new rhizomes, a sharpie and a roll of tape to mark the pots.

Alphabetical order is how I planted mine (simply because I knew I would forget which was which). Plus it worked out nice that my 2 low AA are together and the 2 high AA are together.

"I have four hops plants that I didn't label last spring... just left their starter pots (which were labeled) next to the plants. Of course the pots got moved around, so I have no clue what they are."

Well, you may not know which is which - but do you remember what varieties were purchased? With only four to consider, you may be able tell by the bitterness and cone shape. A friend mixed up his 3 plants. Luckily, it was east to differentiate Chinook from Cascades from Willamette.

I do vaguely remember what I got.. it was last spring, and I'm getting old.. the neurons don't fire like they used to.. lol I don't even remember where I got them.. it *could* have been Northern Brewer.. but I had switched from the other place I usually got them from because the rhizomes they sent weren't super viable.

I was thinking about plucking them out of the ground and replacing them, but.. no.

Most likely I'll be able to figure out what I did get, and hopefully make some educated guesses..

Latest posts

Back