First Recipe - Honey Wheat Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackus2

Reaction score
So, after a few extract and partial mash kits, here is my first original recipe. Any comments/questions/insights will be greatly appreciated!

5 gal. partial mash Honey Wheat

Ingredients

2 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 1 23.5 %
1 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L -- 5.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L -- 5.9 %
3 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract -- 35.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar --17.6 %

2.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min

1.0 pkg Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) [35.49 ml] Yeast

Ok, since no one else chimed in I throw my opinion in there. This is by no means a suggestion, just my opinion. I think the only thing I would change is I would add the Citra hops closer to the end of the boil maybe 2-5 minutes instead of 15. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

I will have to edit. Down at the brew shop i was suggested hefeweizen yeast and honey malt instead of only honey. Now i am trying to rethink a little.

Personally I think you're on target with the White Labs and straight honey. Though I really can't steer you away from the honey malt either since I've never used it myself. Try it both ways then decide which one you like better.

Since flaked wheat can't self-convert, make sure you add another pound of two-row at least. Ideally, you'd use one pound of two-row for every pound of specialty grains, to ensure conversion, so 3 pounds of two-row would be what I'd use.

Honey malt would be a nice addition, instead of one of the crystal malts, if you want a honey flavor in the final beer, as honey itself ferments out leaving only a faint trace of flavor.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I have only done one mash before. I still need to research a little bit on how to handle the wheat- and how to mash and sparge in general.

I think i will still try some honey in the primary plus a little honey malt instead of one (both?) of the crystals.

Unfortunately i have already started with a hefe yeast, and i think maybe i would have liked a little more belgian leaning. Staff at the brewshop said that belgian yeast wouldnt add much to this beer.

Back