Secondary still has lots of small bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moppers9

Reaction score
I'm dry hopping an ipa in the secondary now, (day 4). Primary lasted 2 weeks. The thing is there's been constant little bubbles rising for over a day now, forming a lil bit of foam on top. I've heard it's nucleation from the hops or the small increase in fermentation temperature causing the release of c02. I've instated a rise in temp from 68 up to 72. I was worried cause there's been a lot of them and theyve been constant for a while now. Fg after primary was 1.010, so I dont want it to go lower. Any feedback appreciated, thanks.

Your final gravity will be what it will be. The yeast and the malt control that, not anything you do. When your primary fermentation is done the beer contains a lot of dissolved CO2 and with time and temperature changes this will outgas. Nothing to worry about. Bubbling does not equal fermentation.

Beer will always hold dissolved CO2.
The colder it is, the more CO2 it can hold in suspension.
When it warms up, it lets go of that CO2 and that's what you're seeing.
Nothing to worry about.

Yup. Just off gassing from the temp increase,racking to secondary,& Nucleation points created by the dry hopping addition. Completely normal.:mug:

Back