Belgian Pale Ale Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
Getting ready to start a Belgian Pale Ale, going to use SNPA clone recipe and Bell Saison Yeast from Lallemand (dry).

10.5 lbs pale malt
14 oz crystal 60
.3 oz magnum @60
.5 oz Perle @60
1 oz cascade @15
1 oz cascade @1
Dry hop with 1 oz Cascade

Thoughts? Anyone use the Bell Saison yet? Going to ferment in basement where it's about 67, and just let it go.

OG ended up at 1.058. Mashed a little high, was 156 for the first 30 and then got it down to 154.

Pitched this morning at 67°F, setup a blowoff. Just going to let this rise on its own, no water bath. Basement right now is a consistent 67°F, I will probably put it in a bath and raise to 72 after the primary is done.

Has anyone used Belle Saison? Is it a lot like WY3711?

Has anyone used Belle Saison? Is it a lot like WY3711?

I have used it several times. I like it a lot. It is somewhat like 3711. I get slightly more spice and slightly less citrus. It is a beast like 3711. It has fermented my brews down very low each time. 1.002 seems about normal for me using Belle Saison.

beergolf said:
I have used it several times. I like it a lot. It is somewhat like 3711. I get slightly more spice and slightly less citrus. It is a beast like 3711. It has fermented my brews down very low each time. 1.002 seems about normal for me using Belle Saison.

Wow thanks. Is that with a low mash temp? What temp did you mash at when it got that low?

Mine was high this time at 156-154 so thinking it may not get that low.

Wow thanks. Is that with a low mash temp? What temp did you mash at when it got that low?

Mine was high this time at 156-154 so thinking it may not get that low.

I mash my saisons at 148-150 so they do go low. At 154 it still will go pretty low, but not that low.

I've been meaning to try that Belle Saison yeast. Glad to hear it works well. How high do you have to push ferm. temps on it?

Since we're chiming in: I mash my saisons at 145-147. Suuuuper low. And I add 1 lb of table sugar. Dry that sucker out.

I've been meaning to try that Belle Saison yeast. Glad to hear it works well. How high do you have to push ferm. temps on it?

Since we're chiming in: I mash my saisons at 145-147. Suuuuper low. And I add 1 lb of table sugar. Dry that sucker out.

It seems to work in a wide temp range. I have fermented at 70 degree ambient and it worked. I have feremented it up in the 80's and it worked.

They guy at my LHBS even tried it real hot. He pitched it at 100 and left it there. It was down to 1.000 overnight. I tasted some of that batch the other day. I was expecting fusels, but not one trace of fusels.

Seems to be a great dry yeast option.

He pitched it at 100 and left it there. It was down to 1.000 overnight.

What?! Overnight? That sounds a little suspect, doesn't it?

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a versatile option. I like that. More and more these days I'm using dry yeast whenever I can. Stores longer, no starter, etc.

beergolf said:
I mash my saisons at 148-150 so they do go low. At 154 it still will go pretty low, but not that low.

Yeah I agree on the saison, this is more of a frankenbeer being an American pale ale w saison yeast.

Getting ready to start a Belgian Pale Ale, going to use SNPA clone recipe and Bell Saison Yeast from Lallemand (dry).

10.5 lbs pale malt
14 oz crystal 60
.3 oz magnum @60
.5 oz Perle @60
1 oz cascade @15
1 oz cascade @1
Dry hop with 1 oz Cascade

Thoughts? Anyone use the Bell Saison yet? Going to ferment in basement where it's about 67, and just let it go.

Sorry this is an old thread, but I was thinking about trying something like this. It's so hot I find it harder to control fermentation temps. How did this recipe turn out flavor wise?

It turned out well. Was a little sharp for the first month after kegging but then mellowed. A very good blend of an American pale ale and Belgian. The Belgian profile is not too strong.

It turned out well. Was a little sharp for the first month after kegging but then mellowed. A very good blend of an American pale ale and Belgian. The Belgian profile is not too strong.

Thanks! That sounds pretty interesting I may have to try it out. Do you happen to remember how well it attenuated? What I've read says it attenuates like crazy, but that's mostly for saison recipes with 1lb of sugar and mashed at around 148 so you would expect high attenuation.

I mashed at 156, ending at 154 after 60 mins. Beersmith said FG should be 1.012 but i don't think it takes the yeast performance into account. My FG was 1.004 so yes, it dried it out well. Also, I used Maris Otter for my malt, so this was an English/American/Belgian pale ale Frankenbeer. but good!

Wow, what a beast! I'll be sure to take that into account. Sounds like a delicious beer. Thanks for your help!

Back