my co2 tank just popped! i dont know why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
It blew up and sprayed gas everywhere. Its coming from the place my pen is pointing. What happened? Why? My fault? Dealer? Just got it filled an hour ago for the first time

ForumRunner_20130507_150608.png

ForumRunner_20130507_150556.jpg

did it blowall the way? probably overfilled and with temperature variance it may have expanded a bit more...

did it blowall the way? probably overfilled and with temperature variance it may have expanded a bit more...

Yes. Lost all of it. Its my tank. First fill on it. The guy said he would fill it back up for me. But the damn thing is still leaking. I hope its not broke.

Lots of those safety valves are one-shot deals. If you take it to a welding shop they will be able to A) fix it there B) point you in the direction of a place than can.

its the safety valve. once they go, you lose the entire thing. they are easily replaced. it blew because the place over filled it.

its the safety valve. once they go, you lose the entire thing. they are easily replaced. it blew because the place over filled it.

Dang. Not something i wanted to hear. Should i expect the Welding place that filled it to replace my safety valve all by themselves at no extra charge?

That sucks, but on the bright side, at least it didn't let loose in your car on the way home. Make sure you open some windows and vent all that CO2 out before you take a nap.

That is called a burst disk or rupture disk. Inside that fitting is a peice of metal that will shear and vent the gass inside when the pressure gets to the specified rating of the disk. One of two things happened, too much pressure within the tank or the rupture disk was old and due to the stress over time failed on its own. Good news is rupture disks are inexpesive and easily replaced.

I would take it back to the dealer that serviced it and tell him what happened and I would hope they would repair and sevice it for free.

They should replace it for free. Since you just got it filled for the first time it shouldnt be old. That model of valve is only a few years old.

If they do charge you it should only be a few dollars. I know if I filled a tank and the safety went I would replace the safety and refill the tank for free.

My family owns a welding supply business. The only time they burst is when they are over filled or when they sit in the sun on a real hot day.

They should replace it for free. Since you just got it filled for the first time it shouldnt be old. That model of valve is only a few years old.

If they do charge you it should only be a few dollars. I know if I filled a tank and the safety went I would replace the safety and refill the tank for free.

My family owns a welding supply business. The only time they burst is when they are over filled or when they sit in the sun on a real hot day.

Thanks alot. It was in my car for 20 mins filled then popped about 30 mins later in my house. Scared my cat ***tless. First thoughts were that i should have put some of that "plastic tape" on the screw fittings on the tank and it was all my fault. Lol should i store my filled tank in the fridge?

It shouldn't make a difference where you store it. Yes there would have been a pressure difference in the fridge, but if it blew at room temp it was way over filled and may have gone n the fridge too

Basil Chef: Try to avoid triple posts.
The reason MicrobusBrewery suggest you open windows is you just vented the contents of your CO2 tank into your house. CO2 can displace oxygen and settle in low-lying areas of your house which may cause undesirable effects. Like dizzyness, headaches, irrtability. CO2 can cause death but there's not enough CO2 in a #5 tank to do anything unless you vent it in your linen closet.

Basil Chef: Try to avoid triple posts.
The reason MicrobusBrewery suggest you open windows is you just vented the contents of your CO2 tank into your house. CO2 can displace oxygen and settle in low-lying areas of your house which may cause undesirable effects. Like dizzyness, headaches, irrtability. CO2 can cause death but there's not enough CO2 in a #5 tank to do anything unless you vent it in your linen closet.

...or it happens in a chest freezer and you put your head in there to grab something.

Yup, they do occasionally go at random, but usually it's overfilling. I had one blow hours before a halloween party once. Thank god I found a place that did fills until 2AM- liquor store /keg shop.

Yup, they do occasionally go at random, but usually it's overfilling. I had one blow hours before a halloween party once. Thank god I found a place that did fills until 2AM- liquor store /keg shop.

Thats pretty cool. Im heading back tmro to get it fixed and refilled.

Back