Can't use Gmail to get Bru'n Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mabrungard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, Gmail has finally pissed me off. Gmail now considers any attachment that contains Macros (self-executing code) to be a virus. Bru'n Water does employ Macros to operate. If you are a Bru'n Water supporter, you will have to provide a non-gmail address if you wish to have any future contact or updates from Bru'n Water. Send your new address to: [email protected] You do need to include the name and email address that you originally donated under in your message.

Sorry for the trouble. Gmail truly sucks!

I had the same problem sending .bat files for work. I got around it by changing the extension to .tab and then including instructions on how to change it back to .bat at the other end.

As long as Google can’t “read” the file type you should be able to send the attachment.

I had the same problem sending .bat files for work. I got around it by changing the extension to .tab and then including instructions on how to change it back to .bat at the other end.

As long as Google can’t “read” the file type you should be able to send the attachment.

It appears that you have a winner!! That is something that can be easily implemented and it does fool Gmail. I just tested it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gmail still sucks!

Martin,

My update copy came through gmail ok but would not work with Office 2003 EXCEL. Had to go over to LibreOffice where it works fine. Just a heads up for those that use dated software.

It appears that you have a winner!! That is something that can be easily implemented and it does fool Gmail. I just tested it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gmail still sucks!

Its not just gmail that does this. Microsoft Outlook has implemented similar blocking techniques.

reference

We do the same file extension renaming at work to send .bat files and spreadsheets with macros.

@mabrungard will you be willing to do this for people with gmail accounts? Or come up with another workaround (like providing secure download links in email instead of an attachment)? I (and most people I know) use gmail exclusively for their personal email accounts and as I stated above I cannot use my work email due to the same restrictions that Outlook has. It would be a pain to create a hotmail, yahoo, etc. type of email just for one single use. Also, how long until all other email providers start doing the same blocking of these types of files? You may just be delaying the inevitable.

The file extension renaming is an easy solution for me. As long as the email providers don't start looking for code signatures inside the attachment, this should get the files to the users. It's just a couple of extra seconds for the end user to rename the file with the .xls extension and its ready to go.

The file extension renaming is an easy solution for me. As long as the email providers don't start looking for code signatures inside the attachment, this should get the files to the users. It's just a couple of extra seconds for the end user to rename the file with the .xls extension and its ready to go.
Thanks for that. Just to confirm, I got the email with attachment.

Latest posts

Back