"Canning" Apfelwein Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTBrew

Reaction score
So, I'm getting ready to bottle/can my 10 gallons of Apfelwein in mason jars (kind of an homage to a certain TV show for me and my buddies). When doing this...should I follow typical canning procedure? or just fill it and pop the top on and screw it home? Being that it's not really a food natured product like a pickle or what not...do I still have to do the canning nonsense? I dont really see the difference in a screw top canning style vs a cork? Thanks!

I was thinking of putting some of my wine in a few mason jars-but I have the vacuum attachment on my foodsavor that will take the air out of the jar and make the lid "suck down" on the jar- I am also going to put the lids in boiling/simmering water so that they might form a better seal on the jar. But I am going to fill them as full as I can without risk of the wine sucking up in the hose. that way less chance for oxidation.

I'm going to go ahead and proceed with this. I'm going to my local brew store to pick up a degassing wand. How long after I degass can I can/bottle? I do not plan on carbing it. Is the degassing result in the lack of the "slight carb/sparkle" pretty much immedate? I've had these two batches (5 gallons a piece) in the Primary starting April 16th...racked to a secondary on June 5th (ballpark on this one).I'm trying to drink over the 4th of july, still not sparkling...any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back