Candied Lemon Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
How to achieve a candied lemon flavor? I’d like to brew a lemon blonde ale with candied lemon

Off the top off my head, use lemon zest or peel as a steeping addition. Maybe use golden promise as a base to get a sweeter malt backbone.

Alternatively, there is lemon extract that could be dosed after fermentation (very controlled method for adjusting the amount of lemon flavor)

I haven't used them, but lemon drop hops supposedly give a slightly lemon flavor and aroma.

I'd probably stay away from lemon juice itself for PH concerns.

Just brainstorming lol!

use lemon zest and juice, maybe honey malt for sweetness and pick a citrusy hops like Citra or Apollo if you can find it. personally I wouldnt make a sweet lemony beer . i would go towards the tart side so it will be more refreshing.

In addition to lemon zest and Lemon Drop hops, consider dry hopping with some El Dorado hops. El Dorado hops can add candy aromas that might help boost the candied lemon effect.

I used lemon drop hops and a lemon zest tincture in a wheat beer. I over did the tincture and ended up with a beer that tasted a little like cleaner. Luckily it mellowed after a while, but I would have loved to drink it while it was fresher. I think if I wouldn’t have been so worried about getting the lemon to come through it would have been really good.

I used lemon drop hops and a lemon zest tincture in a wheat beer. I over did the tincture and ended up with a beer that tasted a little like cleaner. Luckily it mellowed after a while, but I would have loved to drink it while it was fresher. I think if I wouldn’t have been so worried about getting the lemon to come through it would have been really good.

I've found that lemon tincture to be very strong as well . Did a lemon shandy and whoa it was exactly like lemon cleaner lol

Back