Can you...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
Can you run wort through copper? Im asking cause of a cooling idea i have. thanks guys I know this is a kind of amatuer question but still learning

Can you run wort through copper? Im asking cause of a cooling idea i have. thanks guys I know this is a kind of amatuer question but still learning

If you are talking about unfermented wort, then the answer is yes. This is how counterflow chillers work, or a reverse immersion chiller (worth runs through copper coil and copper coil is sitting in ice-water).

Thank U Sir. the reverse chiller is what im planning. do you have a suggested size. ( i was thik 1/2" tubing) hoping to be able to do it straigt from the boil pot through the chiller and into my fermentor.

There was a "guest" professional brewer on on of the pod casts I listened to just recently. He suggested if there wasn't any copper in your brew rig to put a piece of copper in the boil kettle (copper pipe was mentioned). I can't recall the partials that he said were released but the copper gives something off that assist the yeast in the fermentation process. I'm sure someone will chime in and give a full explanation.

Yeah, I don't remember the specifics, but copper is a valuable nutrient for yeast. Palmer suggests throwing a couple of pennies into your kettle if you have no other copper in there.

As for the size of tubing to use. I really can't say. I use a reverse IC like this, made out of 25' of 3/8" tubing. But, I have never monitored the temp at the output of it when I am using it. I actually pump through it and send the output back into the kettle with the rest of the hotter wort.

I keep doing this until the temp of the entire batch is down to where I want it and then I transfer to the kettle.

Thanks Guys my idea is to do 3/8" inch pipe around the inside of my 14"x14"14" , so 1' runs that bend and stack up, in a square for about 50' total. cover it in ice water and run the wort through the brass pipe. Thinking this will get the wort cool maybe have to run it through a second or third time. hell i could be way off. Sound like a good system?

There was a "guest" professional brewer on on of the pod casts I listened to just recently. He suggested if there wasn't any copper in your brew rig to put a piece of copper in the boil kettle (copper pipe was mentioned). I can't recall the partials that he said were released but the copper gives something off that assist the yeast in the fermentation process. I'm sure someone will chime in and give a full explanation.

My guess for this would be like in wine making when you add copper to wine. The copper binds with the sulfer and neutralize it. Possibility in beer?

Back